Bumps and Bruises

Mssrs '76-Theodora

Mssrs '76
-Theodora

Theodora's Perspective

I make my way down to the common room with a stack of books piled high up to my chin. I can hardly hold them but they are all necessary for my study session with Remus so I persevere. Right as I'm about to take the last few steps of the stairs I trip, I miss a step and everything goes flying (including me). I land face first on the hard stone, books scatter around me and I feel a sharp pain in my ankle.

"Ow." I whine.
"Shit Teddy!" I recognise Moony's voice without even having to look up.
"Are you alright?"
"What happened?"
"That was bloomin hilarious!" The rest of the marauders are upon me now, not all as concerned as Remus (cough cough- Sirius- cough cough).
"I just slipped," I say with strain as I lift myself off the ground into a sitting position. "I'm fine."
"Here, let me help." Remus puts his arms under mine, wrapping them around my body and carefully lifting me up to a standing position. The minute I try to support myself on my own I let out a yelp.
"OW FUCK."
"What's wrong where hurts?" Moony says trying his best to take care of me.
"Eh Moony I think I could answer that question for you." James says pointing to my foot which was turned the complete wrong way.
"Bloody hell," I breathe out.
"Right come on we need to get you to the infirmary right now."
"Moony darling I'm afraid that may be a little difficult seeing as I can't walk."
"Oh stop being a smart arse come on." And with that he carefully moves one of his hands ,which had been supporting me, to under my knees. He lifts me with ease and holds me close to him. I wrap one hand around his neck and let the other rest on his chest. He carries me like that all the way from the common room to the infirmary and believe me that is not a short trip. Even with multiple flights of stairs and lengths of never ending corridors he never falters. He has a determined look on his face like he's trying to figure out a difficult arithmancy question. The other boys ran ahead to tell Madam Pomfrey to expect us and what had happened.

When we eventually arrived at the infirmary I was quickly whisked away to the far side of the ward where Madam Pomfrey closed the curtains and wouldn't allow anyone in until she had finished her work. She performed a number of checks and ultimately decided on a prognosis.
"Three broken bones in your left ankle and a couple of bumps and bruises elsewhere.You'll be fine take this and I'll keep you in for a few days until you're all better." She smiles and hands me a small cup of a thick pinkish liquid that smells like sickly sweet rotten fruit, it tastes equally vile.

"You can see her now." Madam Pomfrey tells my friends and they quickly pull back the curtain a surround my bed.
"You alright Theo?"
"That was some fall."
"So did she figure out what's wrong."
Questions flew from all directions. It would appear that in the short amount of time they had been left alone, the boys and told half the school I was in hospital.
"Okay okay calm down! It's just a break I'm fine I'll only be here for a few days. So if you're satisfied you can all leave me alone so I can study, speaking of which..." I look around in search of Remus but he's nowhere to be found. "Has anyone seen Remus?"
"Oh yeah he went back to the tower to get some of your stuff he should be back any second." Peter explained kindly.
"We'll get out of your way." Lily says shepherding the rest of the over excitable Gryffindors out of the hospital wing.
"Thanks Lil." She gives me a kind smile and the others utter various variations of 'Get well soon'.

I settle back into the bed and enjoy the peace and quiet. Only now that the adrenaline has worn off can I feel the full extent of my injuries. My ankle feels like it's being repeatedly stabbed and I have an unrelenting ache in my ribs which I suspect are the 'bumps and bruises' Madam Pomfrey told me about. Seeing as I don't have any of my books, making study rather difficult, I decide to close my eyes and try to get some sleep.
Right as I'm about to drift off I'm awoken by a bang.

"Shit" some one exclaims in a whisper shout. I open my eyes to find the source of the noise and see Remus picking up a stack of books from the floor. I roll my eyes and smile as he struggles to keep quiet. When he's finally back on his feet and has gathered the rest of his things he makes his way over to me. He's still yet to actually look at me seeing as he's now taking extra precaution to watch where he's walking.
"Hey Moony" I say gently still feeling quite sleepy.
"Oh," he finally looks up, "hi."
"What's all this." I point to the many books, bags and boxes he's carrying.
"Oh uh well I just figured you'd want some of your things and then I got you a couple extra things as well." He smiles sweetly.
"Aw thanks Moony, you really didn't have to."
"No no I wanted to." He holds my gaze for a few seconds before launching into an explanation of all the things he brought me. This included all of my textbooks, multiple large rolls of parchment, my record player, an assortment of records, some clothes, an extra pillow and blanket (he figured the ward would be cold, he was right) and a box of chocolates he had bought from honey dukes on the trip last weekend.
"Thank you so much for all of this Moony it's brilliant, really."
"Its my pleasure" he beams.
"Come here." I open my arms for him to come hug me. He wraps his arms around me and I pull him close. "You're the best friend I could ever ask for." I smile and pull away.

"Oh..yeah uh yeah you too! You're um you're my best friend Theo." He gives me a soft smile and stands up from his chair at the side of my bed. "I should probably get back to the tower, I have a lot of work to finish before tomorrow."
"Oh yeah of course no worries."
"Get well soon Theodora."
"Thank you Remus."
He gives me a curt nod and a wave before leaving the ward.
That felt...strangely awkward. He never calls me Theo. He seemed almost...hurt? I don't know what I could've done to upset him.

I can't really think about it right now because the pain in my ankle has become every thought in my mind. Bloody hell this hurts. I thought wizards were supposed to have magical cures that would pick you up dust you off and have you ready to go in 20 minutes. This is horrendously painful. I try to distract myself with books and homework but nothing takes my mind off the pain. I'm now regretting sending everyone away, someone to talk to and distract me would be great right about now. I decide that sleep is the only way to put my mind at ease. I close my eyes and try to get comfortable, I don't succeed. With my broken ankle on one side of my body and the massive bruises on the other sleeping on my side like I usually do is no longer an option. I end up laying on my back with my eyes closed trying to count to a million in my head in hopes it my bore me to sleep. Right as I hit three thousand five hundred and thirty two I feel a hand on mine. I open my eyes slightly and see a mop of brown hair, sharp jawline illuminated by the moonlight streaming through the hospital wing window.

"Whatcha doin here Moony?"
"Couldn't sleep" he says softly.
"Me neither... Cmere" I scoot to one side of the small bed and open the covers for him to climb in next to me. He does just that his long body stretches out next to me, feet hanging off the end.
"You alright?" He asks, genuinely concerned.
"Better now." I smile up at him and he smiles gently down at me. He looks like he's about to say something. Something that change everything. His lips trace back and forth between my eyes and my lips. Before anything can happen I shuffle further down into the sheets and turn my back to him.
"Goodnight Moony" I whisper.
"...night Teddy." He kisses my head and wraps his arms around my body, pulling me close. I don't object... He's warm and this hospital is cold... No other reason.