engaged, again

Teddy's POV

I am so incredibly bored. The hospital feels like a prison. I want nothing more than to run out those doors and never come back. They won't even let me outside! They say I'm still too weak, that my body can't handle the cold.

The first snow fell on the first Monday in December. Remus had stayed for the weekend and as soon as he left it began to snow. It was sort of comforting in a way, it felt like the snow was a blanket covering everything and softening the blow of having to say goodbye again. Then I realised all I wanted was to mess about in the snow with Remus like we always did. I keep thinking about last Christmas. How can it only be a year since we first got together? It feels like a lifetime.

It'll be out first anniversary soon, sort of...if you ignore all the times we broke up. To be honest I'm not really sure when our anniversary is. I'm not even really sure if we're still together.  We haven't talked about it. Remus hasn't tried to give me the ring and I haven't brought it up. I think we're both afraid of freaking eachother out and messing everything up.

Technically, we got together on December 20th '77. However that's a Wednesday this year. Remus can only visit on weekends so I thought I might do something for the weekend before that. An early Christmas present of sorts. So I set to work. I couldn't buy him anything but I managed to wrangle Lily into bringing me wool and needles. I spent the next week learning how to knit and at the end of it I had a hand knit hat in brown and a reddish maroon colour I know Remus would love. I also handmade him a card which I charmed to sing 'God only Knows' by the Beach Boys whenever he opened it.

I had everything ready on Friday night and was ready to go to bed with a smile on my face in lieu of his arrival the next day. Then just as I was switching off my lamp and curling into my sheets and I heard a rapid tapping on my window.

I switched back on the lights and saw a tawny owl on the window ledge clawing impatiently at the glass. I carefully shuffled out of bed, trying not to shift any of my delicately healed bones and muscles. I slipped my body down gently into the wheelchair which stayed generally un-used beside my bed and made my way over to the window ledge.  I took the little roll of parchment from the owl and it immediately flew off.