the trials and tribulations of loving a corpse

Remus' perspective

Remus' perspective

Waiting.
It's all I've been doing, just...waiting.
After the boys had helped me clean the majority of Teddy's blood off of me they left me alone to change into my pyjamas and went off to sleep themselves.
The dorm was silent when I entered it, save for Sirius' light snoring and Peter's heavy breathing.
"You alright Moony?" James whispered from where he sat up on his bed.
"What dyu think?"
"Right..."
"....I need to get to the hospital wing. I need to see her."
"Remus, do you really think that's a good idea right now, I mean she could be...you don't know what you'd be getting yourself into."
"I need to be with her, I don't care what she looks like, for fucks sake James I just saw her in a pool of her own blood what could be fucking worse?"
"Sorry I didn't mean to....I'm sorry. It's just, they're gonna be on high alert tonight. I don't want you to get in trouble on top of everything else. We can just get some sleep now and head down early tomorrow morning yeah?"
"NO! James I need to go now! Cmon just give me the cloak and the map and leave me alone. I mean seriously...what if it was Lily? Would you just wait til morning?"
"No..."
"Exactly."
"Alright fine, but I'm coming with you."
"Fine."
"Right, let's go then."

We shuffle quietly together down corridors and staircases, checking the map every few minutes for approaching teachers or filch and Mrs Norris. Theres no one near us but we can see professors Slughorn, Sprout, McGonagall and Flitwick all in Dumbledore's office. McGonagall is pacing around quickly while the other stay still. Fuck. What if they're trying to expel her. Can they expel her?? I need a copy of the school rules.
Once we reach the hospital wing we check the map again. Teddy is inside the ward and Madam Pomfrey is away in her sleeping quarters (the room beside her office). James removes the cloak from us and stands beside me. He gives me a reassuring pat on the back as he sits down on the bench outside the hospital wing.
"I thought you wanted to come?"
"To keep you from doing something stupid or getting caught. I can't see her yet. You go ahead."
"Oh..okay....James?"
"Yeah?"
"Thank you."
"Yeah, course."

I take a deep breath and gently push the doors to the hospital wing. They edge open and I slip through, catching them before they can bang closed. I look around the wing. Every bed is empty save for one, the very last in the row on the right side. The curtains are pulled closed and there is not the slightest sign of movement.
I shuffle towards it, my heart rate quick and and my breathing sharp. My palms are cold and sweaty. I'm panicking. I need to calm down before I see her. She's gonna be okay. She's fine. Please be fine. Please don't be dead.