real or not real

T

T.L '77
-Moony

Remus' POV

"So, we were friends as kids right? That's real?" She asked nervously. She sat cross-legged across from me on her little hospital bed. She still looked ill, her eyes were sunken and the bruising on her face was just begining to fade but she was smiling now at least.
"Yes, that's real."
"And I'm in Gryffindor?"
"Mhm, by far the best house." I shot her a wink and she smiled a little.
"But my family are all Slytherins."
"Unfortunately."
"So what they hate me because I'm in a different house at school?"

"Um-well, sort of. It's a bit deeper than that. You being in Slytherin was like a complete disregard of everything they stand for, kinda pissed them off I reckon."
"Right...so were they the ones who- y'know-.." she gestured to herself and her injuries.
"Maybe, we're not sure."
"But it wasn't their house."
"No."
"I'm so confused."

She buried her face in her hands and threw herself back on the pillows behind her in frustration.
"Hey, hey." I crawled up beside her and wrapped my arms around her. "I know it's confusing and frustrating but we'll get there, I mean you're not terrified of me anymore. That's progress right?"
"

I guess." She sighed and relaxed into my side.

I've always felt we were like jigsaw pieces or Lego or something. Despite our complete opposite size and heights, we just- fit. Even now, after everything that's happened, we fall back into sync so easily. I like to think that's what real love is.

"Remus?" She whispers, her eyes closed.
"Yes darlin?"
"Do you still love me?"
"Theodora Lupin, I will never stop loving you."
"Okay....Remus?"
"Yeah?"
"I love you."
"I know." I pressed my lips to her forehead and watched her eyes flutter closed and her body relax. "Night love."

I don't sleep all night, I stay awake watching her. Just the rise and fall of her chest is mesmerising. I can hardly believe she's real. She looks so settled and peaceful, a slight smile stained on her lips as she dreams.

"Oi oi Moony!" James greeted me as he entered the hospital room carrying flowers in one hand and a pillow in the other.
"Mornin Prongsie." I whispered lowly and pointed towards the sleeping Teddy, pressing a finger to my lips to tell him to be quiet.
He nodded and offered me a thumbs up, placing the flowers on Teddy's bedside table in a vase he seemingly brought up with him.
"What's with the vase?" I whispeed.
"She threw the last one at my head." James laughed quietly and pointed to the pillow. "Hence the pillow, for protection."
"Righhht...sure."
"It's true!"
"I don't doubt that, I'm doubting how protective a pillows gonna be against projectile glass."
"Yeah alright smarty pants shove off."

I tried not to laugh too hard because every time I did my chest moved harshly and moved Teddy's head resting on it. I really didn't want to wake her, even before...everything, she was always a grump in the mornings.

"How's she doing?" James asked, taking a seat beside the bed.
"Better, not quite there yet but gettin better."
"Well that's all that matters innit."
"S'pose." I yawned. "How're the lads."
"Mad as always. Sirius is planning a prank for sluggys Christmas ball and Peter's been chasing after some Ravenclaw girl wayyyy too good for him."
"Nothin out of the usual then?"
"Nope!"
"How's lily?"
"Stunningly beautiful and utterly incredible."
"Nothin unusual there either." I laughed and James beamed.
"Oh Mary's been all weird recently."
"Really? Why?"
"Think it's cause of you mate?"
"What?"

"Well, you know she had a bit of a thing for you aggges ago."
"Eh, yeah. I guess."
"Well, I think she thought maybe cause Ted's was gone for so long maybe you'd like her instead or something. Which I know is mental and clearly is never gonna happen but she's pretty upset about the whole thing. Lily said Mary told her she sometimes wished you never found Ted's."
"What?? How could she say that??"
"Oh, sorry she didn't mean it in a mean way she meant it like she was enjoying being alone on a mission with you or something. I can't remember all the details, second hand information here Moony."
"You're useless."
"Sorry! Anyways, she's definitely upset over it. You know I've never understood how you do it."

"Do what?"
"Manage to get every girl in Hogwarts swooning over you without even trying. I mean sure Sirius can get them swooning if he tries, if he plays up. But I mean you hardly even talk to anyone and girls are falling over themselves for a chance to snog you."
"Uh- thanks?"
"No I mean it I mean you're by far the most sought after lad in Hogwarts. I don't know, maybe it's the whole Teddy thing. The want what you can't have sorta thing y'know? But then this has been going on for years, before you two got together properly."

"Who's after Remus now?" Teddy croaked groggily, rubbing a palm into her eyes and stretching an arm over my chest.
"No one, don't listen to James. He's a moron."
"Truer words have never been spoken." She laughed quietly, sitting up and smiling at James.
"Hiya Potter."
"No vases please!" James held his pillow Infront of his face.
"I make no promises." She winked and leant back against my chest. I wrapped my arms around her again and rested my chin on the top of her head.

"So what were you talking about?" She asked curiously.
"How Remus has got half the school fallin for him." James laughed. I aggressively rolled my eyes and gave James a pointed look.
"Oh don't I know it, bloody Casanova over here." She gave me a gentle nudge in the ribs.
"Only eyes for you darlin" I pressed my lips to the top of her head and smoothed her hair softly. She smiled contentedly and James looked unbearably happy.

"What?" Teddy asked James in annoyance.
"Nothin nothin."
"What?!"
"Wellll...it's just Miss 'hate the world throw a vase at your head' has gone soft."
"Oh bugger off James, I've not gone soft."
"Ummm yes you have. This always happens, Remus always makes you go soft and mushy and lovey dovey."
"That is so not true. Remus?"
"Um, well, I don't know, I suppose I know how to comfort you or something. You have always been considerably cuddlier and nicer to me."
"Because I love you! Duh!"

I never get tired of hearing her say that.

"Alright, alright, calm down everyone. Look Ted's even if you're cuddly with me, you still frighten the bejesus out of all the younger years and occasionally the lads so no need to worry about your reputation."
"Good." She huffed, crossing her arms over her chest defiantly and glaring down James.

"Ooookay, I think I'd better leave before there's another vase hurled at me. I'll see ya Moony. Bye Teddy, feel better soon."
"Bye prongs."
"Good Riddance!" Teddy called after him, sitting up on the bed to watch him leave.

"Cmere." I pulled her back to me and she relaxed for a minute. It's wasn't long until she was back up again though.
"What's wrong?"
"I need to um, I need to use the bathroom."
"Oh! Okay, let me help you I can- do you need the nurse? I can call someone. I'll get them one sec-"
"Shhh, Remus just help me up."
"Of course, yeah I've got you."