Hope Ophelia Lupin

The cottage looked ragged. Windows were dusty and neglected, never mind the clearly untended to garden. Despite it's appearance Theodora was happy to be back. Outside of Hogwarts the Lupin cottage was the only place she'd truly felt at home. Ignoring the cobwebs and thick layers of dust coating every surface, the pair stepped into the house.

"Mum?! I'm home!" Remus called out, throwing his keys on the hall table and kicking off his shoes. Theodora followed his lead and slipped off her own converse, placing them together neatly beside the door.

"Cmon," Remus smiled as best he could and took her hand, leading her up the stairs. Theodora prepared herself for what she was likely to see. The last time she saw hope there was still some life on her. Yes, she was tired and clearly hiding her pain but she was happy. Alive...

"Mum? I'm home, and I brought someone to see you." Remus lead Theodora through Hope's bedroom door and into Hope's view.
"Teddy!" Hope croaked, "it's lovely to- to see you." Her voice was rough as she struggled to speak, every word painful. This was not the Hope Theodora knew.
"It's lovely to see you too Hope." Theodora smiled, desperately trying to hold back tears and clinging onto Remus' hand for dear life, unsure if it was more to comfort him or herself.

"Cmere," hope patted the edge of the bed and motioned for the pair to sit down with her.
Remus moved first, taking a seat beside her and wrapping her in a tight hug.
"Missed you mum." He mumbled.
"My boy." She held his cheeks and smiled widely. "Tell me everything."
Remus launched into a recount of everything that had happened since his last visit. This was clearly a regular occurrence. Hope listened eagerly as Remus told her about all of his lessons and his friends. He told her about everyone who had crushes on eachother, all of the general school drama, about The marauders and the girls.

"And you?" Hope croaked, turning to Theodora who had been leaning against the door frame watching the mother-son reunion.
"Oh I'm fine, just trying to get through NEWTS you know."
"Sit." Hope patted the bed determinedly and Theo couldn't refuse. She perched on the edge of the bed and Hope grasped her hand tightly.
"Tell me." She said so sincerely Theodora wanted to cry.

"Oh it's nothing really, schools just hard at the moment. The stress of exams has been getting to me, and the war is getting so much worse, and...close."
"Mhm." Hope hummed nodding reassuringly.
"I just feel a little bit...lost? I suppose..."
"That's perfectly alright." Hope whispered raspily. "Do you feel a-a little bit out of place?"
"Sometimes...I guess I'm just realising Hogwarts has been my home for so long and when I leave I'll be....homeless, for real this time."
Hope gestured around the room like something was so obvious to her it seemed unbelievable to think Theodora could be so oblivious.
"This is your home love."
"Oh Hope..." Theodora sniffed softly as a tear trickled down her cheek.

They spent the weekend with Hope, cleaning up the house in-between cups of tea and chatting about school and life and the war. The topic of Hope's rapidly declining health was not mentioned. Theodora made dinner while Remus spoke privately with his mum about something. She had asked to talk to him alone and Theodora didn't want to pry. She felt awkward enough already intruding on this time he had with his mother.

On Saturday morning Theodora woke up to an empty bed. Remus' side was cold and when she went looking she found him asleep at the kitchen table Infront of a plethora of papers on treatments and the war and various other not so lovely topics. She frowned, concernedly. She hurriedly cleared up the papers and stored them away in a drawer before waking him up with a hot cup of coffee and a hug.

"Thanks love." He smiled lovingly as she held him, resting his head on her shoulder from where she sat beside him. The house was eerily quiet, peaceful but...creepy. It felt like something was missing.
"She's not doing well." He said suddenly, breaking the silence.
"Yeah..."
"She's- she's not gonna-"
"Yeah."
"I can't-"
"I know." She held him tighter.
There was a quiet understanding between them, they needn't even speak. Hope wouldn't last long, they knew that. This weekend had confirmed it, but it was better to enjoy their time with her now than worry about the future.

On Sunday after tea, Remus and Theodora packed up their few belongings they had brought for the weekend. Toothbrushes were carefully tucked away with t-shirts and pyjamas. Remus said a long goodbye to Hope, which Theodora left him alone for. He needed this time with her alone.

"She wants to talk to you." He said softly entering their bedroom where Theodora lay, staring blankly at the cream ceiling. Remus eyes were tinged pink, the rims red and his cheeks were flushed. She knew he had been cry but simply gave him a tight hug before slipping into Hope's room.

"Teddy." She whispered, waving Theodora over. Theo sat beside her on the bed and held her hand.
"Hope I just...I just wanted to say- to say Thank you. I can't tell you how much you've done for me. I've never really had a family, at least not one that cares for me. I've certainly never had a real mother but...but you've made me feel like- like for once I've had a real family. You've been like a mother to me and I can't thank you enough for this. You've- you accepted me, you took me in when I felt like no one wanted me and made me feel so loved. I can't imagine a world without you, I- I don't want to..."
Theodora's voice cracked as tears streamed down her cheeks in a steady trickle.

Hope reached out a gentle hand and brushed away her tears, hold her face softly and smiling.
"You're my daughter Theodora. I don't care if you're not my own- my flesh and blood, or if you're not married to my son, you're my own. I've left the house to Remus, but I've left something for you too, not much but it should be enough to keep the two of you going."
"Hope I can't-"
"Yes you can, I've already spoken to Remus about it. All I want in return love, is that you'll take care of him for me. I think we both know I'm not going to be around for much longer and in case- in case this is the last time I see you...I'd like to make sure. Remus seems so strong and sure of himself but underneath the tough, werewolf exterior, is just scared little boy who's terrified of losing the people he loves and terrified of being outcast and abandoned. Just please love him and take care of him, make sure he talks to you even when he says he's alright, he never really is. When I'm gone, I know it will be horrible for him, but knowing that there's someone taking care of him is the only way I can rest in peace."

"Of course." Theodora nodded and held Hope's hand tighter.
"I wrote you both letters. They're in that drawer," she pointed. "I'd like you to take them and keep them, only read them when I'm gone alright?"
"Alright."
"Remus is far too impatient, he'd want to open it too badly, it's better he don't know about it." She laughed slightly, sending her into a coughing fit. When she had finally recovered she pulled Theodora into a tight hug, rubbing her back comfortingly, the way she always did, the way Remus did.
"You're going to be fantastic." She grinned and Theodora laughed through her streaming tears.

They said a hard goodbye and Remus hugged his Mum once more before the pair apparated back to Hogsmeade with heavy hearts.

OBITUARY NOTICES •
Hope Ophelia Lupin

Death date: October 17th 1977

Hope Ophelia Lupin died peacefully at home after a long, fierce battle with illness. She is remembered as a loving Mother, Sister and Friend.
Hope Lupin is succeeded by son Remus Lupin.

Funeral arrangements to be made privately.

Fall Apart- R.J.LOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara