Chapter 2

"JONAH!!" Bennett shouted at me across the lawn from where he was standing at the back door. "You better have a bloody good excuse, you knew it was the awards this afternoon and I told you if you're going down to the beach not to spend too long! I was calling and calling for you I thought something happened. I was about to come down there, don't scare me like that." He huffed more upset that I worried him than missed his awards.

"Bennett I'm so so sorry. I umm..." I looked down at the grass shuffling my feet to avoid direct eye contact. "Err look I um.. I kinda found something at the beach, or kinda it found me but I couldn't leave and-"

"Jonah, stop mumbling I can't hear what you're saying. Start again. You found something at the beach and?"

He looked at my hair, next clothes which were still soaking wet then his gaze travelled up to my neck where his eyes grew wide and I couldn't work out why. I unconsciously put my hand up to touch but didn't feel anything extraordinary?

"What? What is there?" I started frantically asking thinking something was quite wrong.

"Jonah... why are there hickeys up your neck? Why are you covered in sand and soaking wet? Come on inside now."

Caspian! He was sucking and biting my neck, I remember now. Of course he has to leave his mark since according to him I belong to him now. Not.

"Uhh, Bennett I can explain." I whispered embarrassed. He had his had on my back directing me to the bathroom.

"Well you can explain in the bath now can't you." He didn't sound too annoyed but more curious now.

He turned on the taps and let them run for a minute before adding lots of bubbles - just how I like it! I was quite cold now from being in those damp clothes that clung to my skin and Bennett sensed that and told me to get in. I stripped then climbed in and let the soothing warm water run over my body making me instantly relax. I shut my eyes for a moment before swishing around in the water. I ducked my head underneath to wash the sand from my face and some from my hair before re-surfacing and facing Bennett. He had the look on his face. Spending most of my school years and now living with him, we had gotten to know each other pretty well and that look wasn't good news.

"Shall we talk now?" He surprising said in a reassuring way.

I blushed then looked down into the bubbles moving them around with my fingertips. He knew I was gay so kissing the man part wouldn't be too much trouble, but the Mer part probably was. I was going to tell him but how much of it he will actually believe, I'm not sure.

"Jonah are you okay?" Bennett studied me with worried eyes.

I nodded back at him, took a deep breath and proceeded to tell him everything that happened from being dragged off a rock to kissing Caspian while Bennett sat with a shocked expression but curiosity and excitement sparkled in his green eyes. One of the things I love about my best friend is that he can keep an open mind in these situations and also everyday life. He's a fast thinker and is able to read people easily.

After I finished telling my story, Bennett looked deep in thought so I just patiently waited for an answer or for him to laugh and not believe it, but I doubt Bennett would do that.

"Bennett please say something, I need to know what to do." I quietly spoke up.

"You're aren't joking, no?" He raised an eyebrow at me studding my desperate expression for some advice.

"No I swear! Any ideas on what to do?" I pleaded.

His face broke out into a grin his eyes filled with excitement. "Jonah I have to see him! There's probably more too imagine how many other species we could find through them!" He exclaimed.

"I'm going to ask him about the Mer people first and find out if there are anymore before all that. He also said I was his mate and he'd been looking for me, what do you think he means by that?" Bennett looked thoughtful for a moment before replying.

"Well I presume it's just like he says, you're his mate. Like a partner to us but I guess they're just more up front with the situation." He answered with a shrug.

"His skin made my hands feel all tingly and it was like I needed to get closer." I smiled remembering the kiss in the sand.

"What did his skin feel like?" Bennett inquired.

"Smooth but rough in some places. I could feel all his mussels too." I laughed and then blushed.

Bennett chuckled and reached over to grab my shampoo.

"Well tomorrow when you go back at least text me every now and then so I know you're alright." He said as he lathered up my hair in the coconut shampoo.

"Tomorrow? You really think I should go back?" I asked the excitement evident in my voice.

"Yeah definitely, as long as he doesn't try to hurt you I'm fine. Soon I will be coming down to see him but maybe he wouldn't appreciate too many humans at once." He chuckled.

Bennett didn't fail to amaze me at his lax attitude to finding a mythical creature at your local beach however Bennett isn't one for over reactions and big deals anyway.

I leaned back against the bath tub enjoying soaking in the warm water while Bennett kindly washed my hair as he could see how exhausted I was. I still had a headache from banging into that rock and probably some cuts on my legs but happy to be out of the cold.

"Up you get, let's get you to bed." Bennett softly spoke as I stood up and he wrapped me up in a big fluffy towel patting my face dry. I swear he was more like a mum to me than a best friend sometimes but I love him for taking care of me.

"Bennett I think my legs cut." I said as my shin felt sore from the cool air. He turned round and looked at my leg.

"It's cut slightly but it's not deep hang on." He opened a cabinet and took out the first aid kit and began wiping the cut then applied some antiseptic cream.

I yawned on the way to my bedroom, pulled out a pair of clean boxers from my drawers, then flopped into bed. Moments later, Bennett came in with some tablets and a glass of water in case I wanted some for my head. I just mumbled no and let sleep take me.