Chapter 13

"Barbecueeeee!" I heard Bennett sing. Leo never too far away from Bennett watched amusingly as his mate span and danced down the garden path towards us. Caspian and I were relaxing outside in the early morning sun peacefully talking before Bennett interrupted.

"Come on Jojo, we can't let this weather go to waste let's have a barbecue later!"

"Only if you help me cook it this time?" I replied.

"Sure, sure, do you remember once when you forgot you were cooking and burnt everything?"

"Yeah," I laughed. "That was mainly your fault though; you got too drunk to stand so I had to look after you whilst doing all the food."

"Good times, good times." Bennett sighed looking up to the cloudless sky.

"And how much do you remember?"

"Umm, none." Bennett giggled. I looked at Leo who was watching Bennett so lovingly. He watched his every step making sure he was completely safe and happy.

"Are you going to get the food, or will I?"

"You? I can clean the barbecue," He suggested. "Actually Leo can do it." He flashed a hopeful smile towards Leo.

"What is a barbecue?" Caspian asked sitting up and pulling me between his legs.

"Honestly," Bennett shook his head in mock disappointment. "Leo didn't know either, you Mer people."

"Bennett, they live in water." I laughed as the look of realization crossed his face.

"Oh yeah, oops I forgot," He smiled. "Anyway, write down what we need." He said passing me a notepad and pen.

---

"Leo, why is it glowing like that?" I had just entered the kitchen after showering to see Leo with the crystal in his hands, examining it closely. His dark eyebrows furrowed and his violet eyes were squinted whilst he checked each side.

"I don't know but I've felt drawn to it all morning, I think someone's trying to contact us." Leomaris held the light blue crystal in his hand turning it slowly which making it sparkle in the light. My eyes never left it as I walked towards Leo feeling a pull like a fly to a light.

"Can I touch it?" I asked hopefully.

"Uh, I suppose."

Hesitantly I reached out my hand and let my fingers slide over the cold, smooth surface. I was so memorized by it I didn't notice the small zaps of energy that sparked from my bracelet Caspian had made for me when we first met, traveling down my hand and into the crystal.

"Uh Jonah..." I heard Leomaris say warningly but it only registered as background noise.

The crystal and my bracelet combined were generating only what I could only describe as a force field of electricity. My whole mind had opened and my attention and focus was solely on the crystal I now held in my hands. I blanked out any voices or electricity crackles that sounded from around me. The crystal reached scorching temperatures but seemed to have no effect on my hands which welcomed the heat. My eyes burned and colours of blue, green, purple and gold danced in a circle around my hands. I felt powerful and strong as I let the energy seep through my veins sparking every nerve into action. My head pounded and my body now felt weak. I can't remember breathing or moving as I stood in a daze staring at the crystal. It was almost like I forgot who I was, just a mindless empty shell of machinery with electricity charging through its wires. I felt my brain begin to slow and shut down with the last bit of energy that seeped through me. The crystal began to cool down and the colours became less vibrant and were absorbed back into the crystal. I heard noises all around me but never having enough energy to reply or process what was happening. It was like everything in my body had stopped working but all my energy and all of the energy I had just absorbed went to a different place. I could feel it but it made my body weak at the same time.