S I X T E E N

' F I L T E R. C H A P T E R'

Newcastle, Youth detention centre.

FOR THE PAST WEEKS THAT Mari has been in Juvie, she got used to being there pretty quickly. At first she did feel home sick and didn't talk when the van dropped everyone off, she stayed in her jail cell doing little doodles on her wall or she'd go for a walk if she was allowed to. The officers recognised her from many years ago earning a not pleased reaction from some people in the area she got moved to, she was thirteen the last time she nearly got a permanent sentence and now here she was at an older age being stuck with the same guard, trying to keep herself out of trouble. She hadn't had many visitors which she thought everyone was probably busy at home or they just didn't feel like travelling out of town. She didn't mind though, she hadn't thought of the place in a while. 

Today , she sat in the activities room watching the rain roll down the windows as she stetted up her video camera on a tripod. She made a couple video diaries keeping track of everything she did. It was kinda like a time capsule; something she'll look back on when she's not in care and she'll have all these recordings for memories.

Her outfit wasn't special, she wore a sparkly jean jacket on top of her stripy orange shirt (not her choice. Everyone had one) along with trousers with the exact same colour. She'd straightened her hair trying it into French braids. She didn't bother with adding accessories - those would get taken off her -, it was a basic style. Once she'd got it sorted she pressed a button on the remote she'd packed waiting for the light to turn red.Seeing the camera was switched on, picked up her half empty bottle then began speaking.

"Sup future me. This is day.. y'know what, I don't know. I've lost count... of me being in this prison. I've made some new friends, reunited with two old ones. Nothing much goes on, it's the usual boring routine. You wake up at six, shower, blah blah." she said within a bored facial expression. "The food isn't that bad anymore, although I do miss having Gina's cooking. Along with the annoying chaos at the house. Of course there's drama 'ere but it ain't the same". Opening the bottle, she took a sip of the water then closed it afterwards. "My group was meant to go somewhere today as a trip but some idiot set off the fire alarm during cooking a few days ago, so now-" A loud creaking sound of the automatic doors being opened made got her distracted. More people were arriving going to their stations. Someone waved at her from far distance and she returned it. "Sorry about that. Everyone's getting let out of their rooms,, Anyway, as I was saying. We're not going anywhere."

A patrol officer called Willa walked into the room looking around trying to see if they could find the teen. The woman held her hands behind her back soon spotting Mariana by a corner next to the piano. "You'll be pleased to know, I haven't gotten into any fights or let anyone's comments set off my anger. There was this one time where a guy I barley knew thought it'd be funny to-" "Sanchez!" she turned to see who called her. It was just one of the guards. "Yeah?" she answered whist standing. "Visitor for you" she informed her. Turning away, she looked at the square screen frowning a little. "Guess I'm wanted. Until next time!" she nervously chuckled switching it off making sure everything was saved. "Let's go, Sanchez" 

Mariana removed her camera off of the tripod shoving it inside her bag as she hurried to the doors. She wondered who came to visit her since she hadn't heard from anyone apart for Sapphire, Indigo and Mike. They would occasionally check in on her through the chief police. "Later, Goldie locks" somebody quietly said to her. "Bye April" she responded whilst walking out of the doors without looking at the girl sitting near the wall.