24 - Power means Life

"Rigur-kun, do you mind finishing the preparations by yourself?"

"No, I don't mind, but... What happened?"

I looked away, not sure how to answer Rigur's question. At some other time I might speak my real thoughts, but in the current situation this was impossible for me, after all, I don't want to spoil the night.

How would I tell it was because of a bad feeling?

"It's just a moment. I have a...woman problem."

I didn't wait for Rigur to respond and just dropped the things I had on the table and walked away. I know it's rude of me since Rigur would be the person being honored today, but I couldn't calm down with this bad feeling in my chest.

After all, this is the same feeling I felt that day.

With that thought in mind, I felt as helpless as I had that day. I couldn't do anything at all that day, and as a result, he 's gone... so I won't let the same thing happen again.

After all, isn't that one of the reasons I'm so anxious after power? Power to resurrect him and bring him back so we can live a happy life in a fantasy world like this, where all things are possible?

That's why I'm here! That's why I'm fighting!! That's why I became strong!!!

I won't let his sacrifice, who gave me a second chance to live that was already wasted, be wasted on my third chance!!!

With that in mind, I ran out of town with all my might. Unfortunately I didn't have one of the mounts with me like Rigur or Gobuta, Gobuta even having more than one mount nowadays, but I didn't care and forced my legs to go faster.

This feeling I felt in my chest, something I am feeling for the third time in my life, has always foretold calamities. The first was when he left, the second was when he left, and now it's my third time.

I won't let anything bad happen in my current life, not now that I have the happiness of all my companions within my grasp. The friends from my village and the friends I made afterward, Rigur and everyone else, they are all important to me.

And, of course, Rimuru. He's... important to me, I think.

Who do I want to deceive? I've only felt what I'm feeling now for two people before and the first was the most important person in my life while the second became the most important. And now that I don't have either, Rimuru who reminds me of him ... is just as important as both of them.

As soon as I finished thinking about these things I arrived at the place where the bad feeling came from and, to my bad luck, I saw - the scene of my nightmares repeating itself once again, before my eyes!

A woman of priceless beauty, surrounded by an unnatural glow, pointed her hands towards the ground with the most powerful wind magic my Extra Skill [Mage] had ever felt. Also, at the feet of this woman was a small creature, a small, fluffy, cheeky slime.

I had no doubt that this was a dryad, who had used [Unification] to unite with a superior spirit of the wind, and it didn't even take much thought to know who was the slime at her feet. There's only one person who's cheeky and stupid enough for the dryad herself to start hating him, and that's my dumb boss.

But he was MY dumb boss and that's why I didn't want to see him die.

But she fired the spell without giving me a chance to stop it. The strongest magic I've seen in my life, magic, something I've always looked up to, and that was now being used to take an important person away from me.

And in that situation, all I could do was scream in desperation.

"RIMURUUUU~~!!!!!"

***