39 - Leisure time and a special name

"Wow. And to think that all this happened to you after my death...? Sorry, I guess. I kind of screwed up your old life..."

"Don't be silly, Sato-...Rimuru. You had nothing to do with this. If there's anyone to blame, it's Tamura, who wasn't there to defend me when I needed him."

I looked at Tsuki, still feeling amazed at how much like the old she looked now that her appearance was practically that of a human with horns.

Apparently, Tsuki was already close to evolving into an ogre prior to the nomination due to her Unique Skill [Magic Reactor], and as a result, instead of evolving once she made a leap and went straight into the Kijin race, a race superior to ogres. Come to think of it, naming her was worse than naming the entire Ranga pack, and I gave each of them individual names, so she was a real sweet tooth when it came to evolving.

But since it reunited me with an old friend from another world I haven't seen in months, I guess I can ignore it.

"Also, living as a normie and all is cool, but in part, I feel like I've missed out on a lot living like that. I can be a little sarcastic, and maybe even unsympathetic, but I prefer who I am now to the cute me and sure as before."

"Really? Well, I'd say you're more tsundere than obnoxious though."

I felt her gaze lock on me with more force than usual after I said that, but again, I didn't care. If her face completely wasn't proof that she knew what I was saying was the truth, then I really don't know what could be.

"Anyway, about Tamura..."

"... What about him?"

Yep, the mood completely changed with a single sentence.

Can I just say it's nothing?

Well, actually there's no point in just running away from it, is there? My doubts won't diminish, and she's the only otherworldly person I've ever lived with that I'll ever meet in this world, and meeting her was lucky! At the very least, she's the only person who can answer me about what happened to him.

"You said that after you saw the photo you gave up on finding him. Have you heard anything from him since then? You know...anything?"

"No... Lucky for Tamura, I never heard from him again."

Okay, please stop looking at me with those empty eyes! I'm not your target here! Tamura, your ex-girlfriend is scary!!

"But the police came to me and they confirmed that, in fact, he ran away with a girl. They confirmed the presence of a couple of young people who were seen taking the train that day, the same train ticket that I saw in the photo where she kissed Tamura. Even so, they lost track of them at the station in the neighboring town."

So Tamura really ran off with another girl...?

Tamura, I would put my hand in the fire for you, you were always such a pure person, but would you let me burn like this? Leave Sawatari? Serious?! And this after you asked my blessing on your relationship?

"I feel kind of let down by Tamura... I don't know what his motives are, but I'm going to punch him in the face the next time I see him."

"Ah, don't worry about that! I've already prepared a unique set of spells for the day I meet Tamura. It's going to be such a magical day ..."

Scary.

What she said sounded like cute words, spoken by a girl in love, but her eyes, without a hint of light in them, looked like empty holes. You could clearly see that those eyes promised only pain and suffering in a way that no professional warrior or torturer could deliver.