36 - Moon and Tempest p2

Silence reigned between me and Petulant-kun, as Rimuru called her while they were in the meeting with us. She didn't stop me from calling her that, so I decided to use that nickname anyway, after all, it's better than having nothing to call her.

And of course this silence was killing me, but I just didn't know what to say to her.

Well, keeping silent would probably be worse, so I decided to speak up, even though I was nervous.

"Then-"

"You broke Rimuru's heart even after he almost died saving your life. I'm not your friend. I don't want to be your friend. I just want to take you to Rimuru so you can talk and. .. Maybe he can go back to being himself in a month or two?"

Okay, she sure doesn't like me.

Despite that, I could feel her yearning for Rimuru in every one of her words, and there was no way I could ignore it. This woman, this goblin, is probably the person who cares the most for Rimuru in all of Tempest, even though she should be the most distant.

Is it the consequence of being the only one not in a master-subordinate relationship with Rimuru? A true friendship, even though they are totally different?

"Haah~... I'll be very direct. Rimuru didn't call you. He probably didn't even want to see you, even if you were painted gold. Still, it's important that the two of you talk as soon as possible. Besides, he must have woken up from hibernation by now."

"Hibernation?"

"Rimuru was exhausted after saving his life. He pretty much used up all the magic he had and then some, just to be able to do what he did. After something like that, a state of hibernation, like what happened after him naming everyone in town is one of the smallest things that can happen. I still don't know how he didn't die from it..."

How bad can I feel about my actions?

I keep thinking, if Rimuru had come to this world as a human, either as a transmigrated or summoned person, he would probably end up becoming one of my students. At seventeen years old as he is, it wouldn't be strange for that to be the case, and perhaps, with him as a human, I could convince him to become a hero instead of a Demon Lord.

Still, he didn't come. He came to this world, in a dangerous place, in a dangerous situation and without any kind of guide.

And I, who gave up on life, practically decided to abandon this child.

"Stop blaming yourself. And most of all, stop seeing him as a child! That's annoying..."

I couldn't help but look at Petulant-kun in surprise. How did she know what I was thinking? I wanted to ask this, but guilt was probably written in my expression, although that she knew I saw Rimuru as a child was still surprising.

While I was distracted by that thought, we arrived at the house from before, still with a hole in the wall.

"We're here. Go talk to him!"

I turned, looking at the hole in the wall and preparing to go inside. Getting ready to talk to Rimuru. I was still very nervous, but this had to be resolved soon, and more than that, I wanted to apologize to Rimuru. I was willing to do anything he asked, as long as he would forgive me. Even if he wanted to take my life, I-

"Don't offer your own life so easily. Do you know how much Rimuru fought to keep you alive?!" Petulant-kun corrected me, pulling my arm and forcing me to look at her. There was a bit of fury in those eyes, but above that, there was pain. "That idiot fought hard and single-handedly for you. I wouldn't doubt he fell in love with you in the span of just a few hours, the way he looks like the... If he fell in love with you, then, even if he hates you, you have to live. It's your duty!"