Side Story - The Rise of a Lord 02

I'm hungry... My hunger, the hunger of my people, doesn't go away..., but I'll fix it!

I don't know how many times that thought crossed my mind, a thought of a simple and clear nature. Still, whenever that thought came back to mind, the tiredness that my body felt... as well as my hunger... ceased to be an issue in my head.

It seemed that the more I thought about it the more strength entered my body. It made me realize that this wasn't just some random thought that kept popping into my head over and over again.

It was a prayer.

That was a prayer, mine and from my people. A silent prayer that registered our pain and suffering, as well as our resolve.

And the strength of our desires was what strengthened me with every step I took.

As I thought about this I noticed that, in the distance, a small group of wolves were standing around a carcass, one they had just caught considering the smell of blood I could smell. Their number was small, less than ten, but the chance that an entire pack is nearby exists.

Of course, the most sensible thing to do was to run away. Direwolves are dangerous opponents, even more so when in a pack, and I shouldn't take that risk.

After all, if I die here, what will be of my people's future? Can I wait for a miracle from some kind and powerful being like Tempest-sama?

Of course not.

Still, in the face of my people's hunger, can I really back down...?

The burden of carrying the lives and hunger of all my people weighed heavily on me and clouded my mind, but that only told me one thing: I had reached the forest. The Great Forest of Jura! The place where my blessings, blessings that I will seek with my own hands, would reach my people!

No matter how tired or hungry I was...

I can no longer retreat!!!

Feeling that the prayers of my people had reached me, I ignored my tiredness and started running towards the carcass that the wolves were eating, even with empty hands. I may not even have a weapon with me, but nothing will stop me from reaching the food I want.

Just as I expected, the moment I started to run towards the wolves I was noticed. At first only one of the wolves looked at me, but soon the entire group, as if they were a single entity, turned their faces towards me, their faces distorted into angry expressions with teeth bared.

I didn't stop, despite the clear threat, and instead I felt myself getting even faster. The magículas inside me seemed to get more and more excited by the food in front of me.

This did not go unnoticed by the wolves.

Once they realized I wasn't going to stop even with their threats, the wolves broke away from the carcass they'd been eating earlier and began to run separately through the trees. They were probably trying to attack from different directions to try to find my blind spot.

Not that I minded that. I was actually really glad they did.

There are seven of them! Three on each side, hidden by the trees, waiting to ambush me, and one that's coming from the front to get my attention.

With that conclusion in the back of my mind I reached out with my hand to grab a branch from one of the nearby trees, plucking it from the tree to use as a weapon.

Catching an enemy faster with an attack is a very difficult task. And under these conditions, carrying out a surprise attack would be impossible. Still, the "surprise effect" that a person normally uses in a surprise attack is something that can be achieved in multiple ways.