CHAPTER 9

“Now I know why the threats, you’re the one bringing everything upon yourself. You can’t keep secrets because you find pleasure in gossiping” Daniel fired back.

     “Please you two should stop this!” Michelle ordered amidst the shouts.

     “You know what? I’m taking a decision I should’ve taken a long time” He grinned. “And I’m not doing it cause’ I feel defeated. I’m doing this cause’ I’m not trusted and I should’ve known better from day one that being were you’re not trusted is like keeping a monkey in a desert”.

     “Good for you” Mary said and left the café.

     “What’s going on here?” A man kept in charge of the café asked.

     “I was just on my way out of here”. Daniel announced and slightly bumped into the man’s broad shoulder while walking past him.

     “So this is how things are going to be huh?” Michelle asked herself and took out her phone from her jeans pocket.

     “You should get back to work” The man said and left for the back kitchen.

Mikel: I think we should all keep our problems to ourselves from now on and you’ll should forget about helping me with me clothe problem.

Mikel: And also forget about the culprit. I’ll let it roll off my back.

     Mary was seated in the patio outside the café when she saw the message in their group chat.

Sammy: Is everything okay over there? I just got in a bus.

Mari: Nothing went wrong before!

Mikel: Mary you’re banned from this group. I never imagined you like this.

              *Mary left the group*

Mikel: That’s better. At least for now.

   Michelle went over to a table and took some orders, she was about to get the orders when her phone had a beep so she unlocked it.

Sammy: What’s happening???

Mikel: Where’s Daniel?

              *Danny left the group*

Mikel: What just happened???

Sammy: I guess he’s gone.

[The Japheth’s Residence; White Avenue]

     Mr. Mark was seated on a cane chair beside some shelfs filled with dusty, outdated hardcopy of anything you could ever imagine.

     “How are we going to pay her school fees for this term and other terms in the future, my café can’t do enough and you haven’t been paid your salary in full for the past 5 months” His wife, Mrs. Freda asked.

     “I don’t know. Don’t you think it’s time to tell her who her real mother is?” Mr. Mark rubbed his goatee.

     “No! But I was thinking if maybe we could ask her mum for some money, besides, she’s been offering us money for Michelle’s upbringing and we’ve always turned it down. This is the right time” she suggested frequently picking her nails.

     “I’ll see her tomorrow. We should be happy that she hasn’t decided to take her daughter because it would be breaking her promise”.

     “Of course, she knows better. I know she’ll give us the money but we need to be careful so she doesn’t expose herself to Michelle” Mrs. Freda said with an air of decisiveness. “She has no right to take her away because she abandoned her”.

     “But our greatest fear should be if she decides to take Michelle by force because she didn’t sign the legal papers”. Mr. Mark contributed and his wife finally stopped picking her nails. “That will never happen. She said with fury.

     The couple heard the front door swing open so they hushed up”.

     “Good evening mum, good evening dad” Michelle ran to meet them.

     “How was your day?” Her dad asked.

     “Intense, muddled up and complicated” She replied staring at her mum.

     “That’s how punishments should be” Her mum stated.

     “Go upstairs, freshen up then come down so we can have dinner” Her dad said finding his way to the kitchen.

     “Dad’s cooking today?” Michelle asked rhetorically with a smile. “Whoa! I better order something before it’s too late” She sealed her mouth with her palms when she realized that the words came out loud.

     “Apologize! Now!” Her mum ordered with a sly smile as Michelle gave out a fake cough.

     “Don’t worry honey, she’ll make dinner” He added.

     Michelle smiled. ‘This is the best family ever’ She thought as she left for the kitchen. As she prepared dinner, she wondered why Principal Alexandra had not yet sent the mail. ‘Maybe he was just joking’ She thought.

[The Andrews’ Residence; White Avenue]

     Daniel had just finished dinner. He thanked his parents for the meal and took the dishes to the kitchen for washing. He heard the doorbell as his mum ran to the door and announced the late visitor.

     “Danny! Sammy’s here to see you” That was Mrs. Vanessa.

     “Why?” Daniel asked.

     “Oh stop it darling, just because you had a fight with one of your friends doesn’t mean it should be a doorway to hatred for all of them” She tried to dictate.

     “I don’t need a lecture now cause where were there when King died. They never cared about him, they cared to know. That was why I never told them. They’ve never asked or bothered about me the way I did for them”.

     “But you once told me that Michelle asked about king’s death” His mum said.

     “It doesn’t mean she cares, besides she said she was going to stop by one day but you’re an evidence that she never came” Daniel said.

     Samantha walked into the kitchen, Mrs. Vanessa sighed.

     “I don’t understand what has gotten into you, dragging King’s death into this” She said and left.

     “You should turn back if what you’re about to say is reasonable enough to make me confused on the choices I’ve already made”. Daniel said looking out the window above the sink as he rinsed the glass cup he had been holding.

     “We all know you’re angry but it wasn’t enough reason to leave the chat group” Samantha said.

      “I don’t see where it says in stallion city constitution that it’s entirely wrong to leave a group chat if you feel like leaving it for vital reasons” Daniel stated.