CHAPTER 12

[The Starks Residence; White Avenue]
-
-
-
-
-
     Mary, the only child of her parents sat on her carpet in her room and confusion was written all over her face.

     “I don’t need help from anyone, I’ll do things myself and I’ll make Kylie pay” She said in soliloquy. “Even if I have to play dirty I will. I’ll show her what I’m made of”.

     Just then, her room door swung open, it was her mum.

     “Aren’t you supposed to be asleep?” Her mum asked.

     “I don’t feel sleepy” Mary said concentrating on a package her mum was carrying.

     “It came in late for you… I almost forgot to give you”.

     “Thanks, Goodnight” Mary said and yawned.

     “I don’t feel sleepy” Her mum said mockingly said. “Goodnight honey, sweet dreams, sleep tight. Don’t forget to switch off your lamp before you go to bed” Her mum said as she shut the door.

     Love you!” Mary shouted after her. She looked at the package and smiled. “May be it’s the Nike I ordered”. She tried to tear open the package but it was hard to rip off. Finally, when she was done, the box in it didn’t look like a shoe box but it was the size of a shoe box. She opened the lid and found a fortune cookie.

*Be careful, I can see you! Watch your back*

     She threw the fortune cookie far away from her bed and scrambled under her coverlet.

     “Please stop! Kylie please stop okay! What do you want? Leave me alone! I’m so sorry I humiliated you in the worst way possible but please I’m sorry” She cried.

[Brain Stars High School; Gold Avenue]

      It was finally another new week of learning. Christiana stood by the gate giving everyone an invitation card to her birthday party before they walked into the school compound.

     “Daniel!” she called while he was walking pass with the rest of the B squad.

     “Don’t tell me you’re ditching us for even a second for that girl with a box framed glasses” Mathew said looking at the others.

     “Why does everyone think of her like that? Anyways you know she’s the Head girl and our senior” Daniel said.

     “Thanks for reminding me of the calamity that has befallen our class. I was supposed to be the Head boy” Charles said with disappointment.

     “Like you deserve it!” David said and dodged a punch from Charles just in time.

     “Guys I’ll be right back!” Daniel said going to meet Christiana.

     “Guy!” Charles called out but Daniel was gone.

     “Hi” Christiana said.

     “I’m sorry for the delay. Anyways your birthday is tomorrow right?”.

     “Yes…here…” She gave him one of the cards.

     “I’ll try to meet up”.

     “Of course you will. It’s by 6 tomorrows”.

     “We’ll be in school?”.

     “I meant 6pm” Christiana corrected herself. “It’s actually going to be gothic-themed so it’s literally a costume party. It’ll be at my aunt’s house cause she’s the sponsor”.

     “So I should be a vampire then?” Daniel asked.

     “No, something like a clown is much better”.

     “A clown?” Daniel asked.

     “Of course, Joker is quite scary” Christiana said.

     Charles walked up to them. “I don’t like cliffhangers so what’s going on here?”.

     “Here…take an invitation to my birthday party…for you, you and…you” Christiana said giving an invitation card to Charles, David and Mathew. “I’ll be expecting you all” she turned to go.

     “Wait!” Daniel said. “Did you give an invitation to Samantha, Michelle and Mary?” He asked.

     “I gave them earlier this morning, they said they’ll try to be there”.

     “Oh, thanks anyways” Daniel said dismissing her.

     Kylie stood with her minions under the basketball net. She folded her arms and didn’t have a smile on her face.

     “I thought your plan never fails, look at Michelle. She’s getting happier everyday” Ella said.

     “Well it was supposed to, as you can see I’m not happy about it. My plans never fail” Kylie said and angrily walked away while the 6 girls trailed behind her.

     ‘I’ll think of something new then’ She thought.

                                   *
Grin! Grin! Grin!

     It was the ‘Emergency Assembly’ bell in the middle of classes. All the students rushed to the A assembly hall to take their seats leaving whatever they were doing. Principal Alexandra was already on the platform with a microphone in his hand.

     “Good afternoon students of B.S.H.S, I’m sorry for the interruption I caused but this is important. Next month, as usual there would be the debate competition where our school competes with other school for a prize. Every year we participate, we always emerge second place but this time I anticipate the first position for this school. All those interested should meet with Mr. Paul in the library today by the closing hour and then the best five would be chosen for the competition. I’m also sorry to inform the SHS 3 that they won’t be participating. Now you may all return to your classes”. With those words the students vamoosed to their classes.

     “It wasn’t even important; I mean what are intercom’s for?” A student complained. Some left hissing while others grabbed the opportunity, people like Michelle. Others like Kylie made this an even greater opportunity, a new game to cause separation.

     During the break period, Kylie and her girls stood beside the girls lavatory door and a girl walked out.

     “Hey, didn’t you see me or do you lack manners? Juniors always greet their seniors whenever they see them” Kylie scolded.

     “I’m sorry I didn’t see you” The girl said innocently.

     “So what are supposed to say now bow head?” Kylie looked ironically at her.

     “I have to go now” The girl took a step but Kylie pulled her back.

     “How dare you try to walk away while I’m still talking to you” Kylie said angrily holding her hands.

     “I’m not afraid of you. Let me go”.

     “It seems you don’t know who I am around here!”.

     “Let me go” The girl cried struggling to release her hands from Kylie’s grip but she held it even tighter.

     “You think you’re too much, right or may be even bold, huh? Well I think you are yourself and your shape. You just look so perfect in it, round like a ball and I won’t be surprised to find out that you hang out with overgrown baby hippopotamus” Kylie thrashed the junior’s hand and when she tried to run away, Ella held her again. The poor girl was already sniffing.

     “Leave her alone!” A voice commanded coming closer to the scene.