CHAPTER 27

[The Sip Cafe ; Gold Avenue]
_
_
_
_
_
    Later that evening the party began. The patio had hanging lanterns decorated with blue tassels dangling here and there, lights decorating the entrance and the tables and chairs were all changed to emphasize in the party. The counter glistened with marble and the cafe looked different as music blasted from the giant speakers kept outside while the artificial podium was empty but beautifully decorated. Extra chairs and tables were fixed but the crowd they were expecting weren't coming in their numbers.

     Michelle who had a red gown that flared an inch above her waist to just below her knees and a black ankle strap platform heel on paced up and down the cafe as she fiddled with the charm bracelet on her wrist but didn't hear the door opening to behold her mum. Her dad couldn't qtake it because there was an emergency at the hospital and it was understandable.

     The party continued until it was sunset yet her mum was no where to be found and to make matters worse, Samantha and Rejoice weren't there like they promised they would.

     'Sammy's probably with her new found friend.' She thought.

      "Hey! Where're all the invitees?" Someone asked behind her and her neck snapped to that direction.

      "Daniel!" Sh exclaimed and gave him a hug. "I never thought you'd be here."

      "Why wouldn't I? It's not like those free foods are going to eat themselves."

     "Very funny," She said with laced sarcasm.

     "Anyhow, where's your mum? Been looking for her?"

      "To be honest I have no clue where she's at."

     Have you tried calling her, or Maybe sending a text."

     "What does it seem like I've been doing?" She waved her phone in front of his face.

     "And Sammy?" He asked.

     "I don't know, I haven't spotted her since the party stared. I told her to be here earlier but I don't want to force her. Mum holds this party every year and I know she's more than aware."

     "She's been acting weird this days." Daniel stated.

     "I know," She stared at the door.

     Daniel sighed and looked around. "I've always known this anniversary party to be packed ever since it got opened but I guess the new restaurant is doing magic."

     "Magic? Fill me in"

     "Seriously?! Michelle don't tell me you haven't heard about the new restaurant Kylie's dad opened with her name. It's Grand opening is today, I think that's where most people are, but your mum? I don't think so." He shook his head.

     "And Sammy?" Michelle rhetorically asked. "No, no, no...! Not possible! She isn't there, she can't be there, can she!"

     "Relax, o.k? I don't think she's there."

     "How about my mum?"

     "Just keep calling. I'll ask the workers then go over to your home to see if she's there."

     "I don't think you'd find her there but thanks anyways."

      Before Daniel could leave a man walked towards them in a rush. "Please I have a message for Mrs. Freda Japheth, the owner of this cafe. Do you know where I can get her?"

      "I-i'm her daughter. Is anything wrong? She isn't here yet." Michelle stuttered as she thought on the worst.

     "I'm here from the T.V show, 'cool chef' to deliver a letter to Mrs. Freda Japeth." He reached into a mailbag and retrieved an envelope, stretching it towards Michelle but she stood transfixed to a spot so Daniel did the honour and thanked him.

     "You're welcome." He said on his way outside with a smile while Daniel tok out the paper from the envelope and read it out loud to Michelle's hearing.

     "What does she mean by that?!  She can't do that to mum. How can this happen?" She finally found her voice as she flared up.

     "You need to breathe," He held her shoulders. "I know it's hard to accept but she picked the grand opening of the new restaurant over your mum's Cafe."

     "But she ditched this cafe like it didn't matter when she was the one who announced she would be here. How's my mum going to take to this?"

     "I-"

     The door swung open and Mrs. Freda walked in looking stressed out. "Mum!" Michelle rushed to her side. "Where have you been?"

     "-stuck in a traffic jam. I made a huge mistake to forget those pans at home. I don't know what I would've  done when the whole crew from 'cool cook' get here to start filming and I figure out my special pan wasn't here. By the ways, where's everyone?"

     Michelle turned to Daniel with a panicked expression.

     "Uhmn, about that..." Daniel handed the envelope sluggishly to her while Michelle focused on her shoes.

      After a long pause Mrs. Freda slid the paper on a nearby table while the trio stared at her, waiting patiently to see her reaction.

     "Really?!"

     "Just 'really?!'. You were ditched." Michelle was clearly shocked

     "Look at this way. It's her show not mine so she holds every right not to show up and it's understandable but-" She drew a sharp breath "I just can't believe that everyone would prefer the grand opening of a new restaurant over the anniversary of a cafe they've known all their lives."

     "Mum it's so bad. I mean how can she do that to you? It just doesn't make any sense to me."

      "Darling, it's fine. Okay?" She gently placed her hands on Michelle's shoulder and rubbed it softly. "You two should help in carrying the trays the leftovers to the kitchen while I'll clean the place up. We're done here for tonight." Mrs. Freda ordered with a blank expression on.

     "But-" Daniel was interrupted by her.

     "No buts Daniel. I know it's not okay to lay the down the party down but right now it's the best thing to actually do.

     Daniel nodded and got to work with Michelle. While they took the trays of cake and doughnuts to the kitchen Mrs. Freda gripped a nearby chair and fell on it. She covered her face with her palms and thought everything through.

     'How can I be nothing to her after all her enthusiasm? I planned extra...big and yet i wasn't honoured. Is there a hope for the cafe? And who exactly owns the new restaurant?' She wanted to act strong to show she wasn't weak, that she could handle it just fine but in reality it was breaking her. She had to hide her flaws and act like the adult they saw her to be.

     When the kitchen door creaked open she grabbed a nearby napkin and dabbed the corners of her eyes. She hid the napkin in her purse and forced herself up.

     They took another tray along with some other employees to the kitchen while Mrs. Freda arranged the chairs and put the napkins and expensive vases filled with fresh flowers away. She tore down the ribbons, balloons and banners and threw them into a garbage can.

     Moving outside, she ripped off the lights and ducked the chairs upside down, weighing them on the table and folded the umbrellas.

"Hurray to a wonderful anniversary."
She cheered sarcastically.

__________________________________
A/N:
Hello,
If you've read this book up to this  extent o just want to thank you for giving it a try.
I know I haven't updated for a long time but I'm back now.
So what do you think about this chapter?
I would love to know your lovely opinions.
Do you think Kylie took it too far?
Also, please don't forget to comment and vote. Those are like words of encouragement to me.
Thank you ❤️