CHAPTER 23

"We can stop pretending like we don't know why we're here now" The woman said, the tone she used gave her out right away that she was being impatient.

     "We can stop now" she said again.

     "Yes, sure. So you have to tell us why now" Mr.Mark said looking at her.

     "I want my daughter back and it's final! She belongs to me and I hope you know that blood is thicker than water. She should know of her origin".

     "After all this years you've finally come to realise that you have a daughter, but, why? Why now?" Mrs. Freda asked.

     "I thought we won't be going through this again. We're here to fix an appropriate date on when I can get my daughter".

     "That isn't possible and I don't care who you are, I'll make sure you don't even come near her. She's mine, my daughter. The one I watched with happiness as she grew to become who she is today" Mrs. Freda defended with a cackled voice.

     "It seems you've suddenly forgotten that she legally belongs to me, I didn't sign the papers to make you lay possessive claims over my daughter. She was only for you to nurture, for me. Just imagine this, I'm very busy with my job and career so I ask somebody, which happens to be you, to help me take care of my baby cause' I can't pursue my career and have a baby distracting me at the same time, and then you take care of my everyday while I'm out there struggling for money and then I come back one day for my child, thank you, pay you off, sack you, go with her..."

      She was interrupted by Mr. Mark.

      "Enough!" He ordered and held his hands up, he spoke calmly so all eyes wouldn't be on their table. "That is just a story in your head that can never come out or even happen in reality, do you understand? And remember, you promised not to come back for her".
The waiter came back and gently laid down a tray of bottled water in front of Mr. Mark and a tray of chicken and chips with a mini cup of ketchup for the woman sitting with them and again with a smile he left.

     The woman was shocked at what Mr.
Mark had just said but when the Japheth thought they were winning, her face lightened up with a smile like she had just gotten an idea from only God knows where. She grabbed some chips and twirled it round before tossing it into her mouth. She swallowed, sipped her yoghurt and smiled again.

     "Do you know that I...I...I can take this matter to the court. I will surely win the case because you have no evidence. And if you try to make things worse for both parties then I can easily cook up a story but right now I won't tell what it is" She took a piece of the chips and held it up for them to see, "...and you two will be broken just like this chips when I win". She broke the chips into two. "Ooops, broken!" She said nonchalantly.

     Mrs. Freda had been gripping her purse under the table and it got even tighter.

     "How dare you?" Mrs. Freda finally said.
     "I'm not done, I'll make sure I get my daughter and you won't know when but then don't be too surprised. Again, don't be too surprised when she'll prefer me over you two because I'm very wealthy, ill give her everything she wants. She won't walk long distances or board public buses, she'll live in a mansion where she belongs and have a better life, she'll become famous just like me, she can get into any trouble she wants to because I'll pay to cover up for the damages and most importantly she'll finally have the love she deserves. The true LOVE from a TRUE mother".

     "I can't take this anymore, please excuse me!" Mrs. Freda pushed her chair out and walked out of the restaurant clumsily clutching her purse. It was clear to her that there was nothing she or anyone else could do anymore.

     Mr. Mark sat there looking at the woman, he saw the fire in her eyes and he was taken aback. 'She can do anything to get back her daughter she abandoned for many years' He thought.

     The woman snapped her fingers in front of his face and he came back to reality but trailed off again after seeing her nails.

     'Those nails! They're artificial and too long. What if Michelle turns to the second version of what I'm seeing right now!'.

     "I can see that you also want to leave".

     "I didn't say anything" He defended.

     "...but you were lost in thoughts moments ago. Well, you can leave if you want to, I'll pay for the bottled water you ordered".

     He looked at the table and at the bottled water sitting on the tray, his throat was dry and itchy but he didn't want the water so he stood up to join his wife outside.

     "You're welcome" The woman shouted after him from where she sat.

[Brain Stars High School; Gold Avenue]

     The next day, Samantha and the other students who went for the debate were called on the platform to present the trophy to the school.

     Luckily, that year 10 brand new set of computers were also given to the school.

     Principal Alexandra's face shone with pure happiness as he stood on the platform that morning in the assembly hall.

    The head boy had difficulties with the microphone and speaker connection that seemed okay some seconds ago so the principal had to shush the students and shout at the top of his voice so he could be heard by all present.

     "Good morning students of Brain stars high school. As you all know, your fellow students went for the inter-school debate competition just yesterday. Well, they came back with good news".

     Someone amidst the clustered students booed and others laughed understanding his joke. The principal quickly detected who started the commotion, he looked at the boy and there was a change of expression on his face. "Daniel Andrews since you're tired of standing come up here with me and let's talk to everyone together, and oh! Don't forget a detention today by 2pm" When the principal was done, the hall grew silent again as Daniel obeyed him but with a smug on his face.

     "Good," He continued.

     "Anyways, these star students came back with victory for this great school. They attained the first position and a trophy, they were also given 10 brand new set of computers and I mean a complete set so I want you all to give a round of applaud to our stars" The whole school roared with the applaud and with a wave of the principals hand it all died down.

     "...and they made it possible with God on their side so give the loudest applaud  to the one who made it possible".

     This time the applaud was deafening and the Principal waved his hands again to shut the noise.

     "I also want to specially thank Mr.Paul for all his hardworking and Samantha Jonah for making this year's team stronger than ever before". As he spoke, rather shouted, Samantha walked up to him with  the trophy and they held it high for everyone to see and it sparkled, throwing glitters everywhere as the sun ray from then windows hit it. "I also want to thank you all for your cooperation. You can all go to your various classes now and remember no loitering" He turned to Daniel on the platform. "You can also go, I'm in a good mood today, lucky you"    The principal laughed and left to attend to some visitors.

_________________________________________

A/N:

If you've read INTERTWINED up to this extent I just want to say a huge thank you!

Don't forget to vote and comment.