CHAPTER 19

"Michelle isn't that Scott's brother, Stanley, the one who destroyed your clothes. That...that little criminal. I can still recall his face after Daniel showed us that day".

"Me too" Michelle confirmed.

"That day, Daniel said he talked to Scott and he said he gave that picture to his younger brother, Stanley and that was the same day your clothes were destroyed. I can't believe we have the culprit right in front of us" Mary said and scowled at Stanley who stood at the other end of the street talking to a guy around his age range.

"What should we do now?" Michelle asked.

"Come on! Michelle don't tell me you don't want to find out more about what happened to your clothes and why he did it. He should pay for it if he's the real malefactor, that...that, Arrrrrgh!".

"Mary why are you taking the whole matter on yourself like it was your clothes but I think you have a point, let's go then" Just as Michelle completed her statement a car pulled up in front of the house and Mrs. Vanessa and her husband stepped out. Mr. Andrews had a call so he got back into the car and drove off.

"Hey girls!" Mrs. Vanessa said excitedly and gave them a hug.

"Good afternoon, Mrs. Vanessa" They chorused.

"Are you here to see Daniel? It's been a while since I saw you girls around, I hope it doesn't have to do with what happened to Samantha, I apologize on his behalf but if he's been all pig-headed but you girls should come around for my sake. Oh how I've missed your company".

The girls looked at themselves before Mary could say a word. "We're here to see Daniel but..." Mary looked at Stanley's direction.

"I think he's inside, you should come in".

"Thank you but we prefer to stay here for some minutes before coming in" Mary said.

"Under the rain?" Mrs. Vanessa asked.

"We're not really under the rain, we're under the Verandah" Michelle smiled.

"Are you girls sure you're at the right house today? What's going on?" Mrs. Vanessa asked.

"Why?" Michelle asked.

"Cause' you don't seem to be sure if you should be here. I mean you don't want to come in" Mrs. Vanessa looked pale.

"Sorry, but we're just distracted. Of course we're coming in".

Mrs. Vanessa opened the front door and walked into the house whilst the girls trailed after her. "You know, nowadays, the house has been lonely without you girls and Daniel has been acting weird. I don't know if it's because of King or the argument he had with you" She looked at Mary.

"He told you?" Mary asked.

"Yes" She nodded and looked away before asking, "Where's Sammy?".

"She's at my mum's Café".

"Okay, as I was saying I miss you girls so much cause' Daniel has been making this house seem like...I don't really know but thank God you girls have finally remembered the road to my house".

"So...we'll be heading to Daniel's room now" Michele said.

"Okay. I'll prepare something so you guys can keep your mouth busy".

Knowing the direction to his room they left Mrs. Vanessa in the Kitchen, on their way Mary stopped Michelle. "What about Scott's brother. He might know a lot about what happened to your clothes" She whispered.

"Forget about that right now! Let's meet Daniel first, remember that we came here to see Daniel in the first place so let's focus on that!" Michelle pulled Mary along as she was adamant to move.

Daniel's room door was wide open so they decided to walk in without knocking. He was sitting on an ottoman and making a phone call, he dropped his phone on his lap immediately they walked in.

"Isn't there a word like 'knock' in your vocabulary" He said rudely.

"Sorry, can we come in?" Michelle asked.

"You're already in" Daniel said looking annoyed.

"So you're still angry? Well I'm sorry for what I did...I didn't mean to do it but I guess I felt insecure!" Mary said looking repentant.

"you 'guess'? What does that even mean? I think the both of you should leave right now before I make you leave. I don't have time to talk to neither of you, I have other important things to do" Daniel said joggling his phone.

"Just listen to what we have to say first, please! And also can we sit?" Michelle pleaded.

"I'm listening!" He said totally ignoring her plea to sit somewhere.

"Okay, first, I don't think you've been having a good time lately but when you were with us it was a day full of sunshine. So, what do you call a day without sunshine?".

"Michelle it's 'night' okay? Please get to the point" Daniel said growing impatient.

"Yes! at least he still remembers my name, it means he can also remember your name and more" Michelle told Mary.

"Stop! Just...stop whatever you're doing right now" Daniel almost threw his phone on his carpet.

"Look, we came here to apologize, like wholeheartedly" Mary concluded innocently.

"Don't you mean just you cause' you're mostly the cause' of the whole saga" Michelle pointed out.

"Fine" Mary threw up her hands in surreneder. "Daniel I'm so sorry for what happened that day. I'm so sorry for not trusting you, I've realized my mistakes so please forgive me".

"So you two came all the way here to apologize, seriously?".

"Danny yes we did and we also came here to tell you that we need you back. With those so called 'new friends' of yours, you're turning into something else" Mary said and Michelle whispered to her that she was ruining the moment.

"If you..." He was interrupted by his ringtone.

"He even has an iPhone!" Mary whispered.

Daniel answered the Phone call and lifted the phone to his ear. "Hey Charles, what's up?...Sure, man!...of course I'm free right now...ok! Be there soon" He hung up and picked up his drumsticks from his bed.

"Where to?" Michelle asked.

"None of your business and-" He turned to face them, "Don't even think about following me".

Mary and Michelle looked at each other, of course they were going to follow. On his way out he met his mother.

"Where to?" She asked.

"Drum practice" He said waving his drumstick as evidence.

"What about the girls and the cookies I'm making?" Mrs. Vanessa asked out of concern.

"We're okay! We were about to leave" Michelle said pushing Mary out. Daniel walked past them and gave a cold stare.

"Don't follow me if you love your life" He walked away with his back turned to them.

"Was that a threat?".

"Mary, it's not! We need to follow him to know what he's up to. He sounded suspicious" Michelle said.

"But he..."

"Shut up okay! Now I understand what Daniel was trying to say that day at the café. You talk unnecessarily".

Mary looked sad but then she pointed at someone so Michelle turned around to see. It was Scott's brother, Stanley, and he was about to leave. He looked their way and immediately looked away.

"We also need to stop Stanley before he gets out of sight and oh no, we've Daniel. What do we do?" Mary said feeling frustrated.

"You'll go after Stanley while I'll follow Daniel. He sounded suspicious and believe me when I say I'm curious".

"No, I'm the one who has to make things right, you'll catch up with Stanley while I'll..."

"Mary listen to me. You're the brave one so you can apprehend our suspect while I'll follow Daniel".

"You're not even making sense cause' how do you think you're going to find Danny?".

Michelle looked at Mary and smiled as she retrieved her phone from her waist bag. "I'll track him" Michelle said.

Mary gave a puzzled look.