CHAPTER 18

Michelle took a quick glance at Kylie and caught a dirty smirk planted on her face. She needed someone to talk to before Kylie drove her crazy so she took out her phone and just when her thumb was about to tap call on ‘Sammy’, She hesitated and finally gave up.

     “Okay! I just need to breath and remember that today is the tomorrow I over worried about yesterday. I can’t call Sammy now” She sighed and left her seat for the canteen to get a glass of water to quench her thirst or perhaps her dry throat.

     The lady at the canteen gave her a disposable cup filled with water from a dispenser and as she turned to leave someone bumped into her but luckily it didn’t spill. She found a nearby chair and sat on it placing the water on the table, tilting her head backwards she used her fingers to massage her forehead. Taking her head forward she took a sip of the water, dropped it and then took it all down in one gulp. Feeling refreshed she stood up to go back to where she was coming from, when she got back another lady was giving out free snacks to everyone, call it refreshment. Michelle took hers’ and hungrily munched away every bit of it.

     Kylie ate hers’ and walked over to where Michelle sat. “Hi, I hope you’re enjoying yourself cause I’m feeling so good”.

     “Why do you care?”.

     “I don’t care; I just want to know how you’re feeling especially at the thought of Diane Joseph” Kylie said.

     Michelle tried to say something but she couldn’t speak, she started coughing and when she stopped she was rendered completely unable to speak.

     “Are you okay?” Kylie asked.

     “Mhm…uhmmn” Michelle tried to utter a word.

     “I hope you know that those aren’t actual words” Kylie remarked.

     Michelle got up and ran to the bathroom still struggling with her voice while Kylie was…just being Kylie.

                      [FLASHBACK]

     “What do you have there?” Kylie pointed at the bottle Stanley had on his hands.

     “It’s a voicedizer, I came up with the name myself. Cool right?” He asked but Kylie rolled her eyes. “It can hold a person’s voice for up to an hour or more, actually it depends”.

     “So where did you get it from, seems our plan is going on just fine”.

     “I made it myself, just some concoctions did the job”.

     “That’s even smarter but isn’t it dangerous?”.

     “I don’t know, when we try it on her we’ll know” Stanley said.

     “Excellent job Stanley. Now I’ll see how she’ll meet her Diane Joseph” She pursed her lips.

               [END OF FLASHBACK]

     Michelle remained in the toilet unable to utter a word, not even a sound finding its way out of her mouth. She thought hard on what might have happened but it was all in vain.

     After the audition and Diane Joseph had securely left the school, Michelle ran out of the toilet only to hear Kylie screaming with excitement because she was picked for a lead role in the movie.

     Anger, jealousy, surprise, fear and confusion seeped through her veins as she ran to the bus stop and took a bus straight to her mum’s café.

          [The Sip Café; Gold Avenue]

     Michelle met Samantha at a corner alone so she sat adjacent her. “Can you imagin9e what happened today? Some minutes before my audition I couldn’t utter a single word, I mean I just couldn’t talk. I think Kylie’s is behind-”

     “Michelle stop it; you should quit throwing blames at her now! What is she? A black witch who can seize voices? I men listen to yourself”.

     “But she’s capable of it, she’s even the chosen one so how? I think she did it to me so she would be picked, she’s so wicked and-”

     “Michelle listen to me, before you judge her I think you should walk in her shoes first and then know how she would feel to be accused falsely” Samantha said.

     “And then?”.

     “Well, who cares, you run away with her expensive shoes faraway”.

     “Sammy seriously?”.

     “Michelle I think you should let Kylie be, she can’t do such a thing cause’ I know her. You always think bad of her without debating inside of you if you’re wrong”.

     “Why don’t you try to understand, you always support her, what about me?” Michelle asked feeling dejected.

     “I’m not in support of anyone but I’m standing by myself trying to bring out the truth” Samantha yelled.

     “Really? Fine. It’s worth talking to myself than you” Michelle yelled back. “I just thought I could tell you everything that happened”.

     “Well I don’t want to listen, on Monday I’ll be going on for a debate competition and I would like to rehearse my part, ALONE. I’m the captain of the team and I have more responsibilities so please if you don’t have something responsible to say or do you can go somewhere else”.

     Michelle looked surprisingly at Samantha then left to meet Janet.

     Janet saw her coming and quickly took the orders of some boys standing beside the counter so she could have her full attention on Michelle.

     “Janet, I’m so confused right now,” she began. “I’m feeling like my whole world is tumbling upside down. The world doesn’t treat me fair, Kylie doesn’t, Sammy doesn’t and I…”.

     “Michelle it’s okay. I understand what you’re trying to say and I saw what happened a while ago. If you’re expecting the whole world especially people like Kylie to treat you fair just because you’re fair to them it’s like standing in a lion’s den and expecting the lion not to eat you cause’ you’re a strict vegetarian, I don’t know if you’re getting me”.

     Michelle thought hard to understand her words, when she finally did, she nodded her head.

     “I understand. Thank you. Anyways I need to get ready for a competition I have on the day after tomorrow”.

     “Good luck”.

     Michelle waved goodbye and left. Stepping into the street she almost bumped into Mary. “Oh my goodness. I thought we would never cross paths!” Michelle said excitedly.

     “I thought we had to obey rules”.

     “Forget about the dumb rules, Samantha is acting weird so I had to leave her alone”.

     “Sooooo…we can talk now”.

     “Of course we can” Michelle gave her a surprise hug.

     “Are you okay? What happened to you?”.

     “It’s better I don’t bore you to death with all that has been going on lately”.

     “That’s fine, I don’t think I’m interested in listening. Hey, I heard Kylie…”

     “Nah. Nah. Nah. I don’t want to remember or talk about her right now”.

     “Okay! So where were you heading to?” Mary asked.

     “I need to go home to make preparations for the competition, well less work for me since Sammy’s the new captain”.

     “I heard about that too, I understand how you feel”.

     “Forget about it” Michelle waved off.

     “I think I should come with you; I’m bored to death!” Mary scoffed.

     “Wait, before we go, have you seen Daniel lately? I mean how has your tactics been trying to get Daniel back to his senses?” Michelle asked.

     “Well! I won’t say bad, but it’s just not working. I think we should stop by his house before we get to your house?” Mary suggested.

     “That’s a great idea” michelle accepted.

[The Andrew’s Residence; White Avenue]

     It was drizzling outside when the two girls arrived at Daniel’s house. Mary saw someone just across and she immediately tugged at Michelle’s skirt.

     “O.M.G.!” Michelle said looking stunned and rubbing her eyes to make sure she was seeing clearly.