2

February 17, 2014

"Are you ready Jimmy?" I nodded as I fiddled the buttons on my jacket. First show as the host of the Tonight Show.
"Yes, as always." I replied. "Show starts in 5, 4, 3 ,2 and 1." The curtains revealed the sea of people watching me today in the new renovates Studio 6B.

"Welcome everybody to Tonight Show! Take your seats." I said, preventing myself to stutter. I'm so nervous. I need to deliver my monologue, flawlessly.

"I will be your host.. For now..." People laughed but there was this girl who had a frown plastered on her face. "I would like to thank Steve Allen, Jack Paar, Johnny Carson, Jay Leno, Conan o' Brien and Jay Leno." I kept staring at her. She's like "I'm outta here." That what her face is telling.

What's going on with her? I mean, she doesn't deserve to be sad.

• — •

I sighed as I continued walking through Central Park. What a blow! Just strolling around here for relaxation. I'm wearing a white shirt with my jacket on, blue jeans, Nike rubber shoes and my Yankees cap to cover my face.

I just wonder why I'm not married. Some people tell me I'm attractive. It's just, I'm waiting for the one. The special one.

I remember the girl earlier, she's just suspicious. "I'm sorry." A girl said. I didn't realize that I bumped her. "I'm sorry madam, let me help you with that." Her things fell off because of me. Jimmy, such a stupid gentleman. Idiot boyfriend.. Oh, I mean idiot man.

I looked up to her after we got her things. She's the girl earlier. Destiny, maybe?

"I'll be leaving. Thank you for helping me, Jimmy." She turned around and continued walking away. "Wait!" She looked back at me and she's stunning.

"Do you mind if we go get some coffee?" I asked with a creepy smile on my face. "Okay. Sure." This is going to be awkward.

We started walking along the Central Park until we reach the nearest Starbucks. "You're taking a girl on Starbucks at evening? Weird." Right, it's weird. "Yeah, I know. I just want to relax because it's a stressful week for me. I just want to chill out." After I replied, silence took between us.

"So, where you from?" I questioned her to keep the conversation alive. "I'm from Manila." She said. She talks with minimal words only. Maybe she's shy or something.

"From the Philippines? How come you're here?" Believe me, she must be jetlagged. "I just headed here for a vacation because it's my birthday." Is she not even happy about her birthday?

"Today? Really? Happy birthday, dear?" I stopped realizing that I do not know her name. She chuckled and said her name. "I'm Alex."  She reached for a handshake. "I'm Jimmy. Nice to meet you, Alex." Our hands met for a handshake.

• — •

We're here." I quickly looked at her and saw her smiling to herself. "So, this is New York's Starbucks. It's bigger than I expected." She is just looking at the whole building. "Let's get this going!" As I stepped, I saw her taking pictures. So, I stopped for a minute.

"What's the deal about pictures?" She'a the only human being I know to take pictures of a Starbucks branch. "Memories, you know. I'm a self-proclaimed photographer." She said it while having a huge smile on her face. "Why a 'self-proclaimed'?" She laughed and it was the most beautiful sound I have ever heard in my whole life.

"I'm not a certified photographer. I mean, I don't have the big SLR cameras and the Instax thingy but with my phone and Instagram, I share the world of photography." I nodded and she took a picture of me.