Chapter 1

Lila POV

"You have to run."

I was standing in the kitchen looking at my parents like they had lost their minds. Three days ago the Alpha paid a visit to my parents. It was one comment that set them on edge. He said that I would make a good Luna someday soon.

This of course distressed my parents. They packed up my clothes along with non-perishable foods in our only car then emptied their life savings. They told me to run. I pointed out how this didn't make any sense since he already had a Luna.

We've only been in this pack for a year after leaving our last one once the Alpha there also had eyes on me. We came to this pack for protection and yet here I was facing the same situation.

Alphas take whatever they want without a care for anything else. This behavior has been shown to me time and time again. The only thing that keep them in check are other Alphas and the King. We picked one of the strongest packs so we wouldn't have to worry about retaliation or our old Alpha coming after us. Unfortunately, this meant I'm left with nowhere to go now. I can only hope that a small pack would take me.

So far I have traveled across three states. I have yet to run into somebody from our pack, but feel it's time to ditch the car. Stopping at a gas station, I grab the bag with my money and walk to the nearby car dealership. I walked in with my best smile and drove away $10,000 lighter but with a 2012 Toyota Camry.

I went back to the gas station to retrieve the rest of my belongings and left the keys in the car. Now it's time to make my way from Illinois to Texas. I settled in a small town which had a forest nearby. I paid for three nights at the motel and started looking for a job. I found a werewolf friendly bar and decided to try there.

Since I walked in the bar I felt the aggressive atmosphere. There are about ten wolves in the bar. I walked over to the bartender.

"I'm looking for a job. Do you have anything available?" I ask.

"Not for you sweetheart. What are you twelve?" The bartender says.

"I'm twenty three years old." I say.

He looked at me skeptically then raised an eyebrow.

"Okay, I'm twenty, but I can do this job." I insist.

"Do you have any experience?" He asked while wiping down the bar.

"In a bar? No, but I did spend three summers waitressing at a diner near my pa- in my hometown."

I can't believe I almost said pack. I didn't want him asking questions about where I came from. I could just tell he caught the slip and knew he had when he said, "We don't give jobs to rogues."

"I'm not a rogue. I'm just in transition. Just turned twenty. Trying to get out on my own. Find some independence," I say.

"I suggest you speak to our Alpha about joining our pack if you want a job here," he says.

Just as he said that, three men walked into the bar. He gives me a smile and says, "Now is your chance, little lady."

"Whose car is it outside," said the tall man in the back.

"That's my car," I said, feeling apprehensive.

"And what brings you to our pack?" He asks.

"I'm just looking for a job and a place to start over," I said confidently.

"What made you think to do it here? We got a small town. We don't want any trouble. Why'd you leave your pack? Alpha throw you out?" The tall man asks.

"He didn't throw me out. I left. I highly doubt he's going to come looking for me. I wasn't anybody special."