Chapter 30

Killian POV

Today was the day of my mother's execution. It was a somber occasion. All of the family has gathered for Sunday dinner though there wasn't much conversation. The menu was roasted chicken, mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables, Catherine's favorite.

Dad was eating with us. It was going to be his last meal before imprisonment. His spirits were up.

"Just so we're clear, none of you are going to execute your mother. That is my job," my Dad says.

"No. Killian is Alpha. It's his job. You shouldn't have to kill your own mate. You can't get a closer relationship," Catherine says.

"Just wait until you have kids," he says. "You'll see what a close relationship is."

"She's right though," I say. "It is my duty. I can do it Dad."

"Over my dead body," my father says.

"I'll do it. I have no attachment to her plus I'm the reason she's dying," Ronan says.

"She's the reason she's dying," I say. "She brought this on herself by her actions."

"Why don't you guys draw straws? Lila asks. "That way it's fair and equitable."

"I'll get them," Catherine says.

She runs in the kitchen and returns with straws. "Short straw is the executioner."

My father drew the short straw right away. Everyone got extra quiet after that? I saw Lila trying to comfort Ronan. He probably really wanted to execute her. Then she reached out and grabbed my hand.

We wrapped up dinner and all headed outside. None of us knew how he was going to do it. The guards had her tied to a post. The pack gathered around with us in the front.

"We are here to witness the execution of Luna Angela. She has been sentenced for faking the death of her eldest son Ronan Monroe who is with us this evening," I say.

"Do you have any final words, Luna Angela?" I ask.

"You're all going to regret this someday and I will be laughing in my grave," she says.

"Executioner, take your place," I say. "By your leave he shall carry out her sentence. What say you?"

The pack all screamed for her death.

"May it be so," I shout.

My father extends his canines and tears out her throat. A cry is heard like a wounded animal and my father falls to the ground. I notice that the noise is not coming from him. I look around and see Lila comforting a crying Ronan.

I immediately run over to him and help her. I begin talking comforting words in his mind while Lila says them out loud. I hold them both tightly and wait for his cries to subside.

He crawls over to our father and hugs him.
I mouth to the guards to get her down and out of the way. We all knew this would be hard but I didn't expect this.

My father embraces Ronan and they both cry hard. The pack all have sympathetic looks on their faces, but I ask them to disperse. We waited as long as it took for them to compose themselves.

Ronan wiped away his tears and then stood up. "I can't let you imprison him for three years," he says.

"It's okay son. I deserve so much more," my father said.

"Please Dad, don't do this. I need you more than I thought," Ronan says.

"It's okay son. You can always visit me. I'll be around," he says.