Chapter 22

Killian POV

"Thanks Dad," I call out, before returning to what I was doing.

"Just fuck me real quick and go," Lila says.

"I'm not going to do that," I say.

"Then just go," she says.

"Why the fuck should I rush just because he's here?" I ask.

"Because I want to know if he's finally given up," she says.

"Is that still bothering you?" I ask.

I get up from the bed and head downstairs. I figured he'd be in my office and I find him there with my Dad.

"I challenge you to a fight to the death," I shout. "You have two fucking weeks to get your shit together.

"I challenge you, asshole. And I'll have that challenge in two weeks!" He yells back. "And here I was trying to be civil." 

He walks out of my office and leaves.

I see Lila standing in the doorway with her mouth open. "You're going to catch flies that way," I say teasingly.

"You think this is funny? I'm going to have your baby. If he was going to be civil, why couldn't you?" She asks.

"Because that man was never going to let it go. This was always going to end one way. Now it's on my terms," I say.

Lila just gives me a dirty look and storms off. I was about to chase her down when my dad says, "son. This isn't going to be the easy challenge you think it is. He's like a cornered rabid animal. If you're not careful, he might win," he says.

"I know all that. I've been training and I will do more," I say.

"I think you're past training. You should start praying and as you say, get your shit together," he says.

"I'm going to find my mate," I say. "She's pretty pissed at me. I don't want to head into a fight while fighting with her."

"Good thinking son. Can't have any distractions," he says.

I go downstairs and find her eating breakfast. I order eggs, bacon and toast. I'm sitting next to her but she won't even look at me.

"Listen, I can't do this without you. I won't be able to concentrate if we're fighting so for the next two weeks let's live our best life," I say.

"Living my best life does not include my mate fighting to the death with a drunken lunatic," she says.

"I'm serious. I'm already going to be worried about you. I can't have you mad at me too," I say.

"You're asking a pregnant woman to control her emotions? Good luck with that," my mom says. 

"I'm not asking her to control her emotions," I say.

"Yes you are and it's ridiculous," Lila says.

Greg: Are we on for dinner tomorrow?

Me: Yes. Tara is joining us.

Greg: That should be entertaining.

Me: I challenged Marvin. Two weeks, fight to the death.

Greg: That's one way to go about it.

Me: As soon as it's done I'll release you unless I die of course.

Greg: Of course.

"Who are you talking to?" Lila asks. "We were having a conversation.

Me: I gotta go.