3. Reminiscing

Years ago

Wei ying was beaming as he was walking towards their first class in Yunshen with his dear shijie and Jiang cheng when his face collided with a broad chest that instantly conquered him with a pleasant sandalwood scent. Though the frame looked sturdy, the hit didn’t hurt him in any way, thanks to the numerous layers of cloth covering the strong build. 

He looked at the handsome stranger eye to eye and bowed at him for his carelessness. Wei ying awed inside his head at the god's work on the face that looked at him, but since it was time for classes he kept the thoughts aside. He can find time to flirt after the classes. 

When he moved right to go ahead, the stranger too moved right. When he moved left, the stranger too moved left. Wei ying shook his head with a smile and stood still for a few seconds, before moving to the right. 

But once again, the stranger had moved to the right. 

Wei ying felt a tug of his clothes from behind, which is an usual signal from Jiang cheng when he needs his brother to give more attention. 

"Why are you tugging on my robe Jiang cheng?" Wei ying turned to ask his brother. He wasn't oblivious, but he oddly felt pleasure in irritating his brother whenever he got a chance to. 

Jiang cheng whispered, cursed before greeting the stranger together with Yanli. 

"Greetings second young master Lan" 

The stranger showed his respect with a bow but his eyes never left Wei ying's. It was then Wei ying noticed the intense look of the honey orbs. It was as if the eyes were waiting for Wei ying to speak. 

"Greetings second young master Lan" Wei ying copied his siblings. 

But the eyes were still set on him. Wei ying could also see the pink tainted ears. 

Wei ying blinked, having no idea of what the stranger was expecting him to do. 

"Lan Wangji, Lan zhan" The lips parted to introduce and the eyes were waiting for Wei ying's turn. 

"Ahh Wei wuxian, Wei ying" Wei ying replied scratching his head. 

When Wei ying was waiting for his siblings to introduce themselves, the stranger had already left the place. 

He didn't understand that the second young master had set his eyes on him, until Jiang cheng and his shijie told Wei ying that it was Lan Wangji who wantedly blocked him from moving forward. 

'But why would he do that?' Wei ying didn't know. 

"Just be careful, will you? He is not someone you can mess with!" 

"You are being unreasonable. When did I even think about messing with him?" Wei ying reverted to Jiang cheng. 

Yanli shushed her brothers to keep silent until the teacher arrived. 

With the teacher came Lan Wangji, and Wei ying sat straight like a ruler as soon as Lan Wangji's eyes scanned the room and fixed on Wei ying. 

During the class, Lan Wangji's eyes were completely following Wei ying and thanks to that, Wei ying was totally conscious. While the teacher was reading out the rules of yunshen one by one, Wei ying was looking at the teacher, but his thoughts were all about Lan Wangji. He wouldn't follow the rules anyway, why bother memorizing it. 

Wei ying tried to ease the stare war by smiling at Lan Wangji, but Lan Wangji's gaze intensified after his gesture. The ears turned even more red and Wei ying felt clueless. 

'Did I offend him somehow?Is he angry that his ears are red!!' 

'Oh my, why is he rolling his fist into a ball?' 

Wei ying waved a hi after the teacher left. Yanli took Jiang cheng with her, in an attempt to give privacy. 

Lan Wangji walked upto Wei ying and his lips opened and closed a few times, like the person really wanted to say something but couldn't. 

"Will you give me the pleasure of being the significant other to touch my forehead ribbon?" 

Lan Wangji was finally able to ask. 

'Is it…like a ribbon….game?' Wei ying thought about whether he could clarify the same to Lan Wangji. But then he noticed the rolled fists, pink ears and intense stare. 

"What just touch? I can tie it on my forehead if you want" 

Wei ying didn't wait to pull the end of the ribbon and Lan Wangji's pupils widened. He stopped Wei ying when he noticed the playful tone. 

"Lan zhan, tell me what it is?" Wei ying undid the rolled fists of Lan Wangji and held it, making a friendly move. 

"I Love you" Lan Wangji confessed. 

His eyes were expectantly looking at Wei ying who was dumbstruck. 

Wei ying felt his ears and cheeks burning up. His entire body tingled. 

"You need not answer." Lan Wangji had continued after a few minutes of silence that prevailed. 

"Can I take time to answer?" Wei ying probed. 

"Mn"

When Wei ying noticed the faint glint of sadness in the honey orbs, he couldn't bear to see it. 

"You could try courting me in the meanwhile I make sure of my feelings, only if you would like?" 

"Mn" Lan Wangji smiled. 

Wei ying felt better after he saw the expression. He cupped his own cheeks to feel the warmth and walked out of the class slowly like an automated being, choosing to ignore everything else that was happening on his way towards his room. He felt like flying above the clouds. 

At a certain point, his legs faced a hurdle in the path, which Wei ying identified to be his brother Jiang cheng's leg. Apparently Wei ying had forgotten to stop at his room and also did not notice Jiang cheng who was waiting outside. 

"What did he.." 

Wei ying ignored Jiang cheng's question, walked robotically towards his bed and sat calmly. 

"Lan zhan loves me" Wei ying opened up. 

"What?" Jiang cheng thought he didn't hear it right. 

"Lan zhan said he loves me" 

"Ehh? That guy is for sure not in his right mind. But what did you say?" 

"To court me" Wei ying was all dreamy when he replied. 

!..?