28. Interrogation

A cold yet powerful light shone out of nowhere within a split second blinding Wen Xu's eyes, and the uncomfortable irritation on his neck that he felt immediately after, told him that the famous Bichen is unsheathed and ready to plunge into his throat. 

"Mind your eyes." Lan zhan didn't like the eyes that were lingering all over his love. 

"What is your business here?" Xichen put forward his question being the only clear headed person inside jingshi, as of the moment. 

Wei ying on the side, didn't quite understand what was happening. 

He remained silent, not wanting to add to the stirring tension in the air. 

The only thing that he was able to grasp was that he is somehow related to whatever is happening. He saw his Lan zhan blocking Wenwen's view by coming in between them, which made him feel at ease.  

When Wen Xu ducked his neck to the side, to look at Wei ying who is now standing behind Lan zhan, Bichen drew a clear red line on his throat, inflicting real pain. Until this move, Wen Xu was solely focused on Wei ying. 

"Wangji, don't act on impulse. Enquire." Qiren commented as Xichen too didn't stop his brother anymore. 

"It's time that we know the truth about Wei Wuxian and Wen Xu." Qiren, the upright man pointed out. 

"Nothing to know." Lan zhan refused. If he accepted, it would mean that he should interrogate both the parties. 

"Wangji" Xichen could understand his brother's feelings. But it is normal to question the parties involved in a problem to find out the truth. 

Lan zhan was not afraid of questioning, it's just that he trusted his love through and through, so he felt that it would be a shame if he were to question his Wei ying based on a mere baseless accusation. 

"I'm here for A'ying" 

For the second time in the last couple of minutes, Lan zhan seriously felt like stabbing someone to death. If he was brought up like anyone but as a Lan, he would have definitely cursed at the endearment. 

'A'ying?' 

Looking at Lan zhan's freezing look, anyone would be able to say that he is angry. 

"This is why I am asking you to enquire. As we all know, Wei wuxian was given sleep enhancement medicine last night but he fooled you. And here, at this time of the day, when it is time for your sect duties, the time you wouldn't be here at jingshi, we have a guest in jingshi. Don't these two things indicate…mmm-mmmph"

Qiren who tried to connect the made up dots was unable to go on. 

He got silenced by his dear nephew. 

"Rule number 1273 of Chief Cultivation sect- Slandering the chief cult.." 

"What do you see in this kid? You dared to silence me?? For him??"  

Before Lan zhan could explain the rule that his Uncle broke, Qiren had broken the silencing spell. Lan zhan too was aware that Qiren as a Lan could break the spell within seconds. It's just that he didn't want to hear anything bad being said about his Wei ying. 

"Brother, Please take him to get his punishment." 

Lan zhan felt that he didn't know this man at all. And he most importantly didn't want to listen to the running commentary against his love. 

"Wangji, it's better to investigate in his presence to clear up things." Xichen suggested. However, Lan zhan still looked reluctant. 

"Why do you want to see me?"

Wei ying found the need to talk. He held the other free hand of Lan zhan to let his husband know that he is alright. 

He took a step forward, and stood next to his husband, ready to face the situation on his own. 

"To fulfill the promise we made" Wen Xu looked dreamy and excited as he answered. 

"What promise?" Wei ying couldn't recollect anything important.  

"You agreed to marry me." Wen Xu's voice showed mild impatience and disappointment. He ignored the cold sword kissing his throat, as he tried to take a step closer to Wei ying. 

Bichen lost his cool, but Xichen, who already expected something like this, prevented his brother from hurting without finishing the Investigation. 

"Stab me right here if he says that I am just bluffing"  Wen Xu hissed, resisting to show any signs of surrender. 

"Do you have something to say about this?" Xichen asked Wei ying. 

"Uhh?" 

"Is this a joke?" Wei ying asked, his face serious. 

"What a joke!." Qiren muttered. 

"A'ying, It's disappointing to know that you don't remember the promise we made on our love, but I don't blame you. After all, you have been through a lot in the recent years. Thanks to someone, who used his sect power to lock you in the name-" 

Suddenly, Wen Xu threw a glowing talisman on Wei ying which had letters scribbled with blood. No one expected this move, as he was yet to complete his story.  

Since Lan zhan and Xichen were focused on attacking Wen Xu, it took a second for Lan zhan to block the paper from reaching Wei ying. 

The paper burnt instantly as it came in contact with Lan zhan's palm but the bloody letters gathered into a droplet and slipped past his fingers. 

Wei ying really wanted to avoid the strange thing that was approaching him with speed, but there was no time. The droplet splashed itself onto Wei ying's forehead and disappeared just like that. 

On the opposite side, Xichen who had Wen Xu by his arms, felt a vibration and like how he came, Wen Xu was gone. 

Xichen charged out of the room, alerting the guards to find Wen Xu, just in case he was there in the surrounding area.

The Blood that stained Bichen was the only proof that Wen Xu was here, a few seconds ago. 

Lan zhan checked Wei ying's body by passing his spiritual power for abnormality, but he found nothing of that sort. 

Even Wei ying assured that he is completely fine. 

However he himself was unaware of the small and almost invisible black thing that formed a chain like structure on his right ankle.

Qiren was able to identify the talisman's type which is black magic, and he would have definitely identified the black chain as the infamous 'puppet ring' only if he had seen it on Wei ying.