16. Purest Love

Wei ying received a request from a poor village man to visit his house. He claimed that they are experiencing strange occurrences and that they would be grateful if Wei ying could help them. 

Wei ying didn't actually expect someone from the village to identify him as a cultivator at first glance, given his sickly appearance. Usually in order to earn, Wei ying would volunteer to help people and he would receive whatever they are willing to give. He was happy that he was at least useful to the world in a way. 

He had been stationed in a village for a week, very unlike his usual nomadic self, as he felt insane at the  thought of not seeing his son and the threat whenever he was alone. He hoped he would see his little one very soon, so he had to be strong. Being among people helped him put his mind together. 

The man's house was near a market which can be considered as the major trading point of nearby villages. The man politely invited Wei ying inside when his wife, who looked like she had been waiting for his husband's arrival, looked at Wei ying in disapproval. 

"Who have you brought home?" 

"Send that homeless man away" 

"He looks like a fake cultivator. What is wrong with you?" 

"Shoo, just go away. We don't need your help!" The lady shouted at Wei ying like he was going to rob them of their money. She made a scene by shouting at him that it attracted the people who were passing by. 

Wei ying's smile stilled in his face, even while he was being treated like that. 

'As expected' 

He thought to himself. There are times when people treated him badly like this. It's unavoidable though. 

When he turned around to leave, Wei ying could feel the stares of people but he chose to ignore them. 

A few steps ahead and a white body blocked him from moving, that's when Wei ying looked up. 

It was…….. his Lan zhan. 

Correction. Lan zhan, who isn't his anymore. 

All the shame and embarrassment Wei ying should have felt in the last few minutes when the lady treated him like a flea, came rushing to Wei ying. 

That feeling made him want to run away from this man as far as possible. 

He avoided looking into the eyes, and walked past the man.

Wei ying at that moment, was sure that it would become a deep regret for the lifetime. 

'It's him to whom I wish to seek comfort, it's also him whom I don't want to see me in my sorry state.' Wei ying laughed at the dilemma. 

"Wei ying" 

When Wei ying's head was filled only with thoughts that mocked himself and urged himself to escape reality, there came a voice stopping Wei ying from moving away. 

Wei ying felt his head spinning. The embarrassment was gone. This man, who had come for him, Wei ying would do anything for him. Wei ying's three years of determination crumbled into nothing, as soon as he heard the voice. 

What if Lan zhan asked him why he left? 

What if Lan zhan asked him to return home? If that is what his Lan zhan wants, Wei ying would do. 

Wei ying turned around and gave a genuine smile at the poker face. 

'Why aren't you living well?' At the tip of Lan zhan's tongue was this question. He couldn't smile back. 

The two looked into each other's eyes and there was silence. 

"Ma.." 

"Mama" A little figure was trying to get Wei ying's attention by hopping in front of Wei ying and waving at him. 

Wei ying's pupils dilated and he looked at Lan zhan for confirmation. 

"Our son.."

"JiXian" Wei ying completed the sentence. 

Wei ying felt too bad to have made his son look for him when he shouldn't have left him in the first place. He covered his face with his palms, letting the tears flow freely. His legs gave out and his knees hit the ground, his face still covered. 

After a couple of minutes Wei ying's fingers were pried open by little petal-like fingers that were completely charged with warmth. 

"I'm sorwy" Wei ying mumbled between sniffing, his eyes still reluctant to meet his son's. 

On the other hand, Lan zhan didn't understand Wei ying's behavior as he was the one who chose to leave the child behind. But it prickled his heart when he saw Wei ying's poor emotional state. He stretched out his arm to caress Wei ying's head, but he stopped as he didn't know whether Wei ying would like that. 

"Mama is s-ad" JiXian's voice broke. 

This made Wei ying to instantly change his expression from being in pain to happiness. He looked at his son adjusting his mood and to be true, it really made him happy to see his son. 

"Mama is so beyond happy to see my baby boy" 

Wei ying cupped JiXian's face and kissed on his forehead. He liked the sandalwood fragrance on his baby which made him feel like home. 

In turn, JiXian kissed Wei ying's cheeks and the duo were in their own world. 

Wei ying heard a donkey's continuous bray and soon enough Little Apple was nudging his shoulders with its nose. 

"Little Apple, meet my son." 

'Little??? It is not little! Apple, how come??'

While Lan zhan was contemplating how a donkey had the privilege to be called by Wei ying with a pet name, JiXian for the first time felt a feeling called jealousy. 

He hugged his mother and when Wei ying was enjoying the hug, JiXian was making faces at the donkey. 

Lan zhan felt proud that his son was able to do his part. Wei ying had that charm that would make one want to have him all for themselves. It amazed him to see how the instant pull worked similarly with him and his son when it came to Wei ying. 

"Why did mama leave?" JiXian wanted to know the answer. 

When Wei ying was choosing his words carefully, a Lan guard greeted Lan zhan. The guard's eyes looked at Wei ying for a second, and Wei ying confirmed that this was the man who gave him the threat letter. 

Once again, Wei ying must choose a lie to protect his family.