24. Task

There was a total silence. Wei ying didn't hear anything in the entire room other than his own mild breathing. 

A few minutes back, Lan zhan kept asking him about who did it to him, but when he didn't answer, Lan zhan hugged him and Wei ying couldn't move at all.  

Only after feeling the violent heart beats of his husband against his skin, Wei ying realized that something was wrong. 

He broke the hug, putting in a huge effort. 

Once again, Wei ying couldn't speak. There were the soft warm lips of his Lan zhan, conversing with his pair of lips by kissing. It was out of pure love and nothing else. The kiss was relaxed, and it continued for a few minutes. Though he was kissed out of the blue, Wei ying liked being kissed. This was their first sober kiss after all. 

During the kiss, Wei ying's palms cupped his husband's face, and only then Wei ying realized that his husband had cried. The cheeks of Lan zhan were completely stained with tears. 

After the kiss, neither of them spoke for a while, until Wei ying decided to break the ice. 

"Find the person" 

"Make me stay, Lan zhan" Wei ying whispered. 

Wei ying gave a task to his Lan zhan to find the person behind their problems. 

He was really going to say the old fox's name when his husband asked initially, all he needed was a few minutes to prepare the right words to say it, without hurting his husband.  

However, after seeing Lan zhan's tear stained face and the sudden outburst of love that was made clear through the kiss, Wei ying knew that his Lan zhan is deeply hurt. 

Because, back then Wei ying had been there several times during his stay away from cloud recesses. 

The feeling of not being able to protect their loved ones, that is the worst feeling one could ever feel. It could make someone feel weak to their bones.  

If Lan zhan were to know that his highly respected and best Uncle was the core of their problems, Wei ying was sure that Lan zhan wouldn't hesitate to punish his Uncle and he wouldn't forgive himself. 

Lan zhan would even think of letting Wei ying go. Because, to him, he was a person who couldn't protect his family. 

Wei ying was afraid of that happening. He doesn't want his Lan zhan to let go. He doesn't want his Lan zhan to feel weak and helpless. He felt bad for leaving Lan zhan but when he imagined Lan zhan deciding to let go, the pain was unbearable. His Lan zhan cannot and must not think of leaving him, no matter what the reason is. 

Hence, he challenged his husband to find the person. 

"You cannot let others know this." Wei ying added a condition. 

Because he was certain that Lan zhan would tell this to his Uncle the next second he walks out of Jingshi, thinking that his almighty Uncle would help in finding the person. 

Given a task, Lan zhan wouldn't feel that bad after he figures out the true colors of his Uncle, because he would be the one to find and fix the situation. 

Lan zhan's mind urged him to not waste a second and to go find the person. He was going to get up from bed, but Wei ying pulled him back to the bed. 

When their eyes locked, Wei ying confessed his love, which he had stored up for a long time. 

"I Love y-" 

"I don't deserve Wei ying" Lan zhan was surprised, but stopped Wei ying from saying the words of love. The thing which Wei ying feared a few minutes ago, started happening. His Lan zhan was feeling guilty and he was trying to pull back. 

"I have always loved you Lan zhan" 

Lan zhan lowered his head, unable to answer.

"Are you not going to accept my feelings?" 

Wei ying asked, lifting Lan zhan's face. 

Still not getting an answer, Wei ying moved even closer to Lan zhan. Understanding the intent, Lan zhan closed his eyes, waiting for the kiss. But the kiss never happened even after a few seconds. 

When Lan zhan opened his eyes, Wei ying's face was so close that if he were to move forward a tiny bit, their lips would clash. And Wei ying had his eyes closed, just like him.  

"Kiss me" Wei ying whispered with his eyes closed. 

The surging emotions flowed like waves, that Lan zhan dropped everything that was pulling him back and kissed Wei ying like there is no tomorrow. 

Both panted for air, when they ended the kiss. 

"Now take responsibility for the kiss and accept my feelings." Wei ying said playfully, making Lan zhan smile. Lan zhan knew that he willingly fell for the teasing. 

"Love Wei ying" 

"Above all." Lan zhan replied. 

Before the couple could kiss for the third time in the night, they heard JiXian's voice. 

"Mama, JiXian can't sleep" 

JiXian was standing near the room door, his eyes very clear, not a single symptom of sleep visible on face. 

In the end, both Wei ying and Lan zhan kissed JiXian and put him to sleep, before they fell asleep. 

The following morning, when Wei ying woke up, the old fox had sent him a messenger with a letter. 

"Stop this or you will regret" 

Wei ying didn't understand what that was about, however he didn't hesitate to tear the paper into pieces and throw them on the face of the messenger casually. 

The messenger was stunned to see Wei ying react like this, however he didn't respond. 

"Bring this trash back to him." Wei ying commanded. The messenger guy collected all the torn pieces and stuffed them into his pouch, before leaving jingshi. 

Thankfully JiXian was not with him at this moment as he was busy doing  homework in his room. 

When it was time for lunch, Lan zhan returned and Wei ying got his answer for the letter he received earlier. 

Lan zhan had arranged a gathering of sects in cloud recesses in a month, to formally introduce the chief cultivator's consort to the cultivation world.