32. Strangers

After the battle

Jiang sect's involvement, especially after Madam Yu's intervention, Wei ying without a choice had to let everyone in his battle. The Wen sect maniacs Wen Ruohan and Wen Xu became living dead after the confrontation with the Lans and Jiangs. The two sects together were able to fish out all the puppets Wen Ruohan had created until then. 

It was a great feat by the two sects considering the strategies they devised and how well they were able to execute it, making a big sect fall down without unnecessary noise. 

However, the biggest loss was still for Wei ying. 

41 days since the battle

Wei ying woke up earlier in the morning, alone. JiXian had started his education a few weeks back and had to live in the disciples quarters away from his parents. It was way too early for a kid, but it was after Wei ying's approval, arrangements were made. 

Wei ying got up from bed, gulped the food after taking a quick bath and rushed to Jingshi. He was wearing servant's clothes and looked particularly disciplined, unlike his usual self. 

"Bring this inside" 

Receiving a scroll from Young master Jiang cheng on the entrance, Wei ying entered, giving a respectful bow. 

Once inside after keeping the scroll on his husband's work table, Wei ying made his way to the corner, set the corner table which had tea and waited patiently. 

Lan Wangji and Jiang cheng spoke about political affairs, and Wei ying stood there, his mind and heart struggling. 

He wanted to look up, to be precise at his husband, however he was not in a situation to do so. If he dares to give even a single stare, he knows very well that his husband is a very good observer. Maybe he was overthinking or maybe not. But he cannot risk it. 

Moreover he knew very much about himself that once he saw his husband, he could never look away. 

"You may leave" 

As the debate was still going on within him, Lan zhan gave his order to step out. With the usual disappointment, Wei ying left hanging his head low. 

Within half an hour's time, Jiang cheng found his barely alive brother inside the guest room. 

"Once again, thanks for the scroll Jiang cheng" Wei ying was very polite which made Jiang cheng feel bad. 

"He is getting better." Jiang cheng replied. 

"Mn, I know" 

"He will recover his memories soon" These set of words were the sole comfort for Wei ying these days. 

His Lan zhan has lost his memory. 

To be exact, memories related to him. Everything, just about him. 

And he was the reason it happened. 

If he hadn't cut the string, or if he hadn't let his Lan zhan join him that day, this wouldn't have happened. 

It was one of Lan zhan's secret efforts to keep his beloved safe. The string of fate spell. When reading through the library scrolls, looking for information about the puppet ring spell together with Wei ying, Lan zhan's eyes came across this particular spell. 

He wanted to cast this spell with the permission of his love, but knew that Wei ying wouldn't agree. Hence he did it when Wei ying was asleep. 

The spell was simple, but the power it held was significant. This spell worked similar to the red string of fate. Two individuals are bound by a string. The only difference being, the string divides any physical or mental harm equally between the couple. Same goes for powers. 

In ancient times, the Lans used it to cultivate and grow together with their partners however Lan zhan found it surprising that this spell was recorded in one of the books that was restricted due to special reasons. 

Until the end, Lan zhan couldn't figure out why. 

However, with an assurance that he can share the same fate as his beloved, or with a tiny hope to prevent anything from happening by putting his powers as a counter, he was ready to give it a try. 

The two souls must have love for each other, this was the only condition to be met for the spell. So Lan zhan was able to cast it with ease. 

On the day of the battle, he had two requests for his brother. To look after their son, if something was to happen. And to attack Wen Xu, before saving him. 

As predicted, when Wen Xu summoned Wei ying using the puppet ring, it was not just Wei ying whose body reacted. Half way through when Wei ying's body was turning slowly into a living dead, to the side Lan zhan's body too started showing signs. 

Connecting them was a string that shone brightly, with a blinding light. 

On Lan zhan's lips was a half smile looking at the string and then at Wei ying. 

Wei ying using his last bit of brain that was alive, was able to understand that this change was somehow related to the string. 

"Arrrrggghhh" 

Hence he with his Suibian cut down the string with a single slash. 

Both of their bodies slowly turned normal and both lost their consciousness. 

By the time Wei ying woke up, he was not in Yunshen, instead he was in Lotus pier. 

Everyone told him that his Lan zhan is getting better but it took a few days for them to spill the truth that he no longer remembered him. 

Lan Qiren, who as the sect's elder then clarified that it is the curse of the spell. This was the reason why the spell of string of fate was kept hidden. Under no circumstances can it be broken. 

The healers were worried that Wei ying's appearance in the sect leader's life again might harm his mental health, and so after much deep discussions, everyone decided to let Wei ying into Lan Wangji's life as an insignificant person. He can stay in his sight, but he is not allowed to talk or take initiatives. 

After monitoring for a couple of weeks, they saw no visible harm and let Wei ying continue to put on his masquerade. 

As for JiXian, he understood that his father is getting treated. It was a good thing that his father never questioned him about his mother. 

In Jingshi

Lan zhan was seen caressing a neatly folded red ribbon with deep thoughts.