7. Union

"To Heaven and Earth" 

"To the elders" 

"To each other" 

As Wei ying and Lan zhan locked their eyes after showing their respect to each other, a serene music played in the background. Lan zhan's face turned to the direction of the music in an instant and Wei ying's eyes followed him. 

Lan Qiren was playing a white Zither with his eyes closed, beside him was Lan Xichen who played an old jade Dizi. Other than the few elders of the sect, only Lan zhan was aware of the identity of the said musical instruments. 

These had been the soul weapons of his parents before their souls left their body during seclusion. Lan zhan has always wanted to play the instruments, but he knew it needed a high level cultivation core to be able to do so. Also this was the first time the instruments were played by someone other than his parents. 

Lan zhan was completely overwhelmed by the happy memories the familiar music brought to him. This could be the best blessing he could get on his Wedding day, that is to feel his parents' presence. 

The couple were taken to their respective seats to enjoy the music. 

Wei ying who didn't know the sentimental values behind the music, yawned. Thanks to the red veil, he could simply cover his face, not letting others see his extremely sleepy face. Next to him was Jiang cheng whose eyes were red from lack of sleep similar to Wei ying, but he was resolved not to fall asleep. He must be there with his brother to look after him until the couple are sent to their chamber. 

Wei ying's body jolted up from sleep, when a series of clapping sounds were heard. He too clapped, nodding his head, copying the crowd. 

He felt hungry but the couple were made to receive the blessings of guests one by one. Wei ying purposely stood close to Lan zhan, their hands rubbing often. He expected his husband to hold his hand, but who would have expected that it is not allowed. 

"Skin contact is prohibited in front of outsiders" 

Lan Qiren educated the couple with a stern voice. 

Lan zhan, as the role model for sect disciples, maintained a little distance which Wei ying didn't like. 

After the guests' reception was finished, the couple were allowed to move freely inside the hall. Lan Qiren approached Lan zhan, and the uncle-nephew continued to talk about the performance earlier, while Wei ying signalled his brother to give him company. 

As much as Wei ying wanted to pay his complete attention to the elder, he couldn't help but feel bored when he was not included in the conversation, as if he was a child.  

Jiang cheng and Wei ying forgot that they were surrounded by the Lans as they started their usual bickering. They didn't realise that they were being watched by several eyes until Wei ying stepped on one of the several layers of his wedding robe, and the wine on his hand spilled, spoiling his cloth. 

Wei ying heard murmurs and saw the group of scrutinizing eyes. Jiang cheng's face turned pale as he tried to block his brother from others, but he was deeply worried about the elder Lan Qiren's reaction. 

Wei ying felt the pressure building, but he was even more afraid to turn and look at Lan zhan. 

"It's alright" Wei ying heard his husband say from behind. Wei ying's entire being relaxed. Fortunately Lan Qiren remained silent. 

The people who were looking at the scene, now started minding their business. 

"Won't be needing clothes anyway" Lan zhan's husky whisper made Wei ying's heart take a big leap and his face reflected the color of his wedding robes. 

Madam Jiang pulled Wei ying to the side and handed him another outer robe to change into. 

Starting the moment Wei ying entered the hall after changing the outer robe, Lan zhan didn't move away from Wei ying even for a second. He couldn't hold Wei ying's hands and didn't know how else he should look after his baby husband. 

Wei ying realised his husband's worry, hence he made a knot with the hem of their sleeves such that Wei ying cannot move more than a step apart from his Lan zhan. Wei ying too didn't mind being protected, if his husband is the protector. 

Evening arrived and soon it was time for the couple to enter Jingshi together. 

Xichen took the couple to Qiren's chambers saying his Uncle has words for them. 

As soon as they reached the entrance of the room, Xichen informed them that they must enter separately one after another. Thus, Lan zhan was the first to go, leaving Wei ying with Xichen outside.

In a while Lan zhan came out and it was Wei ying's turn. Lan zhan didn't expect his Uncle to show his caring side towards him. He had even advised him that he must always protect his partner and have trust for each other. 

He was surprised that his Uncle didn't hand him books such as rules for disciplined life.  

Xichen then took Lan zhan to Jingshi saying Wei ying would be brought by his siblings. 

Wei ying turned twice to look at Lan zhan's disappearing silhouette before entering the chamber. Of course he was slightly afraid of the elder. 

"Greetings elder Uncle" 

"Mn. Sit" 

"Do you like my nephew?" At this question, Wei ying felt his tension leaving his body. 

"Yes" Wei ying said, smiling.  

"Insolent." Qiren scoffed. 

"Huh?" Wei ying thought he heard it wrong. 

"Wangji is the proud heir of the Lan sect. And you are? Just nobody." 

"I am Wei Wuxian of the Jiang sect. Husband of Lan zhan." Wei ying's voice was slighly shaking. 

"Not after I throw you out of Yunshen." 

Wei ying's body stiffened at the answer. 

"You cannot get physically intimate with Wangji. Most importantly, you cannot get pregnant. Play all you want. But the day you forget this, you will not be his husband anymore." 

Before Wei ying could talk back, Qiren snapped his fingers and a few disciples pulled Wei ying from his place and dragged him until they tossed him outside. 

Wei ying dragged his unwilling body towards nowhere in particular, his mind occupied with the ugly threat. 

Why would they do this to him? 

It was not until he saw his brother, Wei ying finally felt his worries lessening. 

'I have my family.'

"Idiot, why are you here?  Lan Wangji is waiting for you." 

'And I have my Lan zhan'