25. Mission Mama

'Could it be? No, but!'

'No chance' 

Lan zhan's brain was storming with questions and doubts, thinking of every possibility. Each and every person he met since the day Wei ying asked him to find the person, he found them suspicious. 

His head was loud due to over-thinking. Like maidens comparing the accessories and the beauty of themselves with other maidens they come across, Lan zhan assessed each person's possible motive, relationship with Wei ying and Why they could be the possible blackmailer. 

Thanks to his poker face, no one found any difference in his behavior. 

After a week's time, the most suspicious person in his list was,

Madam Yu

Madam Yu was there when Wei ying ran away from cloud recesses. High possibility of threatening. A person who didn't wait to sever ties with Wei ying. Lan zhan saw Wei ying re-uniting with her, still Lan zhan couldn't trust her. Lan zhan also knew that Wei ying always feared her. One more important reason being, her infamous soul weapon Zidian, which matched very well with Wei ying's scar marks. 

Even Jiang Wanyin didn't visit Wei ying since his return, however as per the man who spoke to Wei ying from the village had told them that he went in search of Wei ying there. Looking at the inconsistent pattern, something felt definitely amiss. 

Lan zhan, however, didn't come to a conclusion, since he needed solid proof before doing so. 

He didn't have any space to doubt his Uncle or brother for various reasons. 

His Uncle is the first supporter for his love life, a person who put Wei ying before his nephew, and he always advised Lan zhan to take care of Wei ying. His Uncle was too sweet when it came to Wei ying. Even after Wei ying stabbed him, he was very understanding. Also, Qiren was not there in cloud recesses on the day Wei ying left. 

Coming to his brother, Xichen played a big role in easing his worries about Wei ying's feelings for him, and he is a person who according to Lan zhan can be trusted blindly. 

Lan zhan's mind being all over the place, he realized that he was not carrying Bichen, only when he was about to enter Hanshi. Being the chief cultivator, this is not acceptable at all. 

'Blunder' he criticized himself. 

If he hadn't remembered bichen now, he would have definitely felt bad for not being able to answer his brother's concern two day's back. 

"Wangji, what's wrong?" Xichen had asked him, being the only person who could read all his expressions. Lan zhan remained silent, tied by the promise he made. If only Xichen had seen him not carrying Bichen today, it would have definitely made him worry. 

While starting from jingshi, Lan zhan had sealed it with an exclusive Lan spell, as Wei ying was still sleeping. Previous night, to enhance Wei ying's sleep, the healer had given him a herb soup which put Wei ying into sleep in an instant. Looking at Wei ying sleeping peacefully, Lan zhan couldn't just leave him and his sunshine JiXian without ensuring their safety. Lan zhan was not feeling better even after sealing and left in a not so good mood. Lan zhan thought to himself that he must have forgotten his bichen, thinking about this. 

In ten minutes, Lan zhan was back at Jingshi door. When he tried to unseal the room with his spell, he was able to identify a mild difference in the seal strength. Perturbed, Lan zhan undid the seal quickly, ready to examine the reason. 

'Maybe the healer sent people to check on Wei ying?!'

'Maybe his Uncle wanted to visit him regarding sect matters requiring his immediate attention?!'

Multiple thoughts still in his head, Lan zhan slided the door slowly, not wanting to alert anyone. 

Just three steps inside from the door, stood Jixian with a sword in hand, in a posture ready to attack. 

It was clearly visible that the sword was too heavy for the baby hands, but JiXian looked like he didn't care. 

He was focused and determined in keeping his mama away from danger. 

As soon as JiXian realized that it was his father who had come back, he sheathed the sword like a professional and bowed to greet his father. 

Lan zhan was just awestruck. 

He has not started the Sword training for JiXian yet. 

JiXian didn't even own a sword for himself. 

The sword he is carrying now, is the old practice sword of Lan zhan. 

JiXian didn't explain the situation, and the father-son sat opposite to each other, without saying a word. 

The four eyes looked in unison at the sleeping soul on the bed, before JiXian looked straight at his father, ready to speak. 

"Mama doesn't know. Can't know." 

It was information plus a request. 

"Mn" Lan zhan waited for his sunshine to go on. 

"Mama is in danger" JiXian whispered, his eyes welling up. 

Lan zhan opened his mouth, swallowed a wisp of cold air and closed it, unable to say anything. 

The little one who stood like a soldier to protect his mama is back to being a baby. 

Lan zhan pulled his sunshine to his side and JiXian hugged his father. 

"A bad guy came and Mama sent him away" JiXian continued the whispers, his eyes checking up on his mama from time to time. 

"A few days ago" JiXian continued. 

"Mn" 

"Someone banged the door a while ago. Must be the bad man." JiXian had seen the guard from last time when Wei ying tore the letter into pieces. It was from that day, he started wielding his father's sword which was stacked in the room. 

"I'll-No we'll protect your mama." Lan zhan assured. 

That was a lot of information for Lan zhan. The Lan seal on jingshi which he used, can only be used by the Lans who shared the bloodline. And if someone was able to come to jingshi in this short duration while it hasn't been more than twenty minutes since he left, it definitely should be someone close. A Lan for sure. 

Caressing his sunshine JiXian, Lan zhan remembered JiXian acting very mature for his age before Wei ying came back into their lives. He was still like that when he demanded to be taken to his Mama. 

But the moment JiXian met his mama, he was being a mama's boy, completely forgetting about Lan sect discipline or whatsoever. Lan zhan was happy for the past few months thinking about how his sunshine is shining radiantly more than ever, with Wei ying's presence. 

Now that Wei ying is threatened by a stranger, his sunshine is willing to become a knight in shining armor. 

So will he, for his family.