14. Mother

Lan zhan couldn't concentrate either on the meeting or the scrolls that were laid in front of him. His inner mind accused him of his ignorance. 

It's true that everyone would believe they are right until someone questions their actions. It worked the same way for Lan zhan too.  

"Didn't I want Wei ying to have the life he wished to have? Wasn't it the reason I stopped searching for him? 

But then why did I feel hurt when my sunshine questioned me? 

Did Wei ying wait for me to find him? 

You lost him, Lan Wangji!! 

Isn't it your guilt that made you avoid him when you met him back in the village?"

"Wangji"

"Wangji, are you listening?"

"Uhh..Uncle, yes." 

"I asked you why JiXian is not there in the class. Is he unwell again?" 

Lan zhan's heart got stuck with fear thinking of his son's desire to go to his mother. 

"Did he by chance…" Lan zhan didn't want to imagine. 

Qiren followed the almost running Lan zhan, trying to figure out the reason for this over reaction from his nephew. 

On reaching Jingshi's door, Lan zhan's heart that started beating normally at the sight of his sunshine, felt like crumbling when he saw what his son was doing. 

It has been almost four hours since Lan zhan left the room. 

JiXian was still there, standing on his knees. 

Awaiting his father's approval to go to his mother. 

"What is he doing?" Qiren asked, making JiXian turn his face to the side. 

Lan zhan did not see anything other than his Sunshine kneeling down, thus Qiren's question went unanswered. 

"Sunshine, get up." 

JiXian didn't react. 

JiXian struggled to stay rooted to the floor when Lan zhan tried to carry him. 

"Not until father agrees." A delayed response from JiXian. 

"Is it about the sword?" Qiren wanted to know. 

"No." Lan zhan said. 

"Why are you so hard on my grandson, Wangji. What's wrong in agreeing to what he wants?" 

As long as it is not about the sword Qiren could become a good grandfather for JiXian by speaking for him to make up for the sword. 

"Uncle, I need to talk to JiXian." 

"Don't be hard on him, alright?" With that Qiren gave the space to the father and son, by leaving jingshi. 

"I promise you that I will take you to Wei ying when you are old enough to understand the things that happened. Now, get up." 

"W-wei ying?" 

Of course JiXian had heard this name. But until now he had no idea that it was his mother's. 

The child smiled learning the name of his mother. 

"Mn. Wei wuxian, Wei ying. Your mother." 

While JiXian was waiting for his father to continue talking about his mother, Lan zhan gently placed the little one on his lap and started massaging the now red knees. 

"Do I resemble my mother?" 

Lan zhan could see his sunshine's eyes shining with eagerness. 

For a fraction of seconds, it even crossed his mind about how happy his son would be if he were to take him to see his mother. 

"By appearance, a lot." 

JiXian giggled, his cheeks blushing. 

"JiXian wishes to see mother." The child was back to where it started. 

"That.." Lan zhan sighed. 

"I will take you to him next year. Until then you will be a good boy. Do we have a deal?" 

Lan zhan had time until next year. Things change, JiXian might change. 

JiXian gave a nod and kissed Lan zhan's cheek to show his appreciation. 

Meanwhile, Wei ying was inside an inn, deep in sleep. All of a sudden, Wei ying shook his head saying incoherent words, and on his forehead were sweat beads. 

After several minutes of going through it, Wei ying finally woke up from the nightmare. 

He had a strange dream. About a Baby. Probably his own. That could be the possible explanation since the baby was wrapped in a whitecloth with a cloud pattern. And the place they were in was similar to Jingshi but it was vague.  

It was as if he dreamed of the day he delivered his baby boy. 

The tiny baby cried calling out to him. 

To his mother, which is Wei ying. 

It was a complete torture for Wei ying after he met his Lan zhan in the Gu manor. He barely slept in the following days. It was as if he was deprived of happiness. 

Why would Lan zhan ignore him? 

Just this single thought was capable of destroying his mental as well as physical health.  

He had limited money to spend, and he had an extra stomach to feed, otherwise he would have drunk away this desolate feeling, on day one itself.  

At last that's what he did last night, from the extra money he earned from exorcizing evil spirits in a nearby village. 

But now this dream, it was pure torment that came in the form of happiness. He was happy to see his baby boy once again in his dream. It's not like he would have an opportunity to see him in person. 

But his baby's cries for him, and his helpless state of not being able to respond to him or check whether his baby boy is alright, Wei ying didn't know whether crying would even do any justice to the thing he did in the past. 

He had abandoned his baby boy. He was not sure whether he could identify him even if he came across his son.  

Wei ying got up from bed, steadied his steps and walked out of his room towards the stable. 

As soon as Wei ying's eyes saw Little Apple, his steps hurried. 

Wei ying took Little Apple into a hug and tears rolled down uncontrollably from his eyes. 

"Wh-what do I do Little Apple? I miss my son." 

Little apple which resisted Wei ying from touching it at first, stood still when the cries increased. 

"I want him. I miss him. I miss him so much."  

Between the disorganized breathing and the hiccups, Wei ying cried to his only companion.