35. Back to zero

The Jiangs went back to Yunmeng for they cannot stay forever in Gusu. Xichen was so busy visiting small sects around the Wen region that he barely could return to Yunshen. 

And the old fox slowly came out of the hideout. 

Wei ying didn't remember the old fox's existence until the moment he was prevented from visiting his little bunbun saying it was the elder's order. Wei ying felt cornered without anyone to help him with this. 

He tried his best by talking to the guards as Lan zhan's partner, but poor him, he is not a Lan by birth. He could send a letter to his family but then he has to tell them the history. 

He cannot disturb Zewujun with a letter who is now working overtime in place of his little brother and Uncle. 

His Lan zhan is there but he is not actually there for him. 

There is no point in crying, he knew. 

Wei ying could only hope that Zewujun returns to Gusu soon. 

He was not even allowed anywhere near JiXian. It had been their routine to hug and spend a few minutes after JiXian's classes everyday, but the precious minutes were snatched away from them. 

To Wei ying, JiXian's feelings are important. What if his bunbun looks for him and finds no one? 

This thought scared him. He had three days until JiXian will be coming over to Jingshi to stay overnight. It was the weekly holiday and even if he cannot meet JiXian outside his classroom, he should be there in Jingshi to show him that his mama is still there. That he did not abandon him. 

The first day, JiXian waited for sometime but returned to his room disappointed. 

The second day, he waited some more time until his teacher asked him to go back. 

The third day, his eyes were watery when he asked his teacher to take him to his mama. 

He kept asking whether his mama is fine and returned only when he was given a reminder about the holiday, and that he will be able to meet his mother the next day.  

After three horrible sleepless nights, Wei ying waited near Jingshi when he and the other servants were dismissed from the place stating Young master Lan needed private time with his son. 

Lan zhan had his plans. 

He wanted to know about his late wife. His uncle and everyone else, when asked, tried their best to end the topic as soon as possible saying the past remains in the past. So far, all he knew about his wife was that her name was Lan ying and she was somehow related to the Jiangs. 

But today he could ask his Sunshine. It doesn't matter if his Sunshine doesn't know much about his mother but he will give it a try. 

He didn't want anyone else to listen to the father-son personal topic, so he chose to dismiss everyone for the day. That was not the only reason. He gets to be with his son just once in a week, he wanted the time to be only for them now that he is temporarily relieved of the sect duties. 

Meanwhile the said wife, Lan ying was crouching in a corner, his mind completely cluttered. 

He absentmindedly climbed a wall away from people, from a distance saw JiXian walking faster towards Jingshi and Wei ying was very sure that he would be expecting him there inside. 

Wei ying cannot shout out to his son, as it might result in Lan zhan's attention. 

A few more seconds, JiXian would be inside Jingshi. 

Wei ying's mind went crazy. 

'What should I do?' 

'What can I do?' 

'Nothing?!!' 

Inside Jingshi

JiXian entered the room, saw his father, bowed in respect and sat in front of Lan zhan. 

He noticed that none of the servants and guards were present in and around jingshi. Still his eyes kept looking at all the places more than a few times, expecting his mama. 

"I have something important to ask you. So sent everyone away." 

On hearing his father say it, JiXian nodded, having a slight hope. 

"Will they be back once we are done talking, Father?" 

JiXian wanted to know. 

"No. Not until you go back." 

Lan zhan did not think of anything wrong but he never thought that this would make the little one sob in an instant. 

After all, JiXian is just a kid, who already had lost his mother once. 

"What's wrong?" Lan zhan panicked. 

"My sunshine. Tell me what's wrong?" 

"What happened?" 

JiXian remained tight-lipped but continued to sob. He remembered his mama reminding him that he cannot talk about his mama to his father. That made him cry even more. 

"Do you miss your mother?" 

Lan zhan remembered his first meeting after waking up, when his Sunshine had cried the same way uttering the word 'mama'. 

This question brought a quick reaction on JiXian. 

He stopped, blinked the tears away, and nodded once again politely.

His lips quivered as if he was not done crying.  

"I wanted to talk to you about your mother." Lan zhan said, wiping the tear stained face of JiXian with a white cloth. 

Lan zhan understood that his son was able to calm down when the topic was about his mother. 

"As you know, Father doesn't remember anything related to your mother. But I would like to know about her." 

JiXian was looking at his father unblinking. 

"Would you tell me the things you know about her?" 

"Mama is the best." 

After a prolonged silence, JiXian replied. 

This brought smiles on both Lan zhan and JiXian's face. 

"The most beautiful, good and kind." JiXian added. 

Lan zhan took JiXian in a hug and caressed his hair. 

While saying those words, JiXian looked very proud and happy that Lan zhan was able to understand how much his son must have missed his mother. 

"What is her name?" Lan zhan asked as he was told only the Lan courtesy name. 

JiXian looked up but remained silent. 

"You do not know?" 

"..." 

JiXian didn't even let his facial muscles move. He stared at Lan zhan silently from which Lan zhan was able to deduce that his son knew something but was not willing to answer. 

Just like him, when put in a situation of not wanting to lie. 

…..nd young master Lan"

Just as Lan zhan was about to ask JiXian his next question, he thought he heard someone. 

…..t leader" 

"I think I heard som-" before Lan zhan could continue, JiXian ran all the way to the door, his face radiating from happiness. 

On reaching the door he stopped, turned to look at his father who was now walking towards him. 

There was this servant who Lan zhan thought was kind of sneaky and disturbing. The servant was being stopped by three guards, but he was not giving up.