17. Happy family

The guard interrupted in time, saving Wei ying from pain.  

"Let's leave this place" Lan zhan said as the guard alerted them that the people seemed to recognize the chief cultivator. He wasn't there for sect duties, and most importantly he didn't want people to invade his privacy. 

"Lan..Chief.." As they were about to leave, Wei ying had something to add, but he didn't know what name he should use to refer to his husband since the name Lan zhan seemed too close, which he thought he wasn't qualified enough to use. 

"Can you arrange to send one of your disciples to help this family?" He skipped the calling part and jumped to his request. 

"Mn" Lan zhan hesitated for a second, but still said yes. 

Wei ying felt relieved. Wei ying then made JiXian sit on Little Apple's back to leave the place. Little Apple started walking as Wei ying gave a cue, but JiXian was not that happy. Wei ying could see that in his baby boy's eyes. It was as if he was afraid that he would lose his mother if he were to even blink his eyes. 

"How am I looking?" Wei ying just wanted to tease his son for looking at him like that. 

"Beautiful" 

'Beautiful' 

There were two replies, just one said out loud. Wei ying's brain traveled back to the big day when he first blushed at this word from his Lan zhan. Naturally, his eyes looked at Lan zhan who was already looking at him. Their eyes locked for a fleeting moment when the guard from earlier who was walking behind them, bumped into Wei ying due to the supposed crowd in the market street. Wei ying was pulled back to reality by this pretentious act. 

Wei ying ignored the guard and started to focus on the road. 

"Mama, are you taking us to your home?"  

"..." 

"We are going back to the inn" Lan zhan came for Wei ying's aid. 

"Not mama's home?" obviously the sunshine hadn't listened to the yelling of the woman from earlier. 

"Mama has no home..ha ha" Wei ying said, scratching his nape. 

JiXian's face fell instantly. 

Even after trying to distract JiXian with a lot of things, Wei ying just couldn't change the expression his son had. 

"Would my little bunbun like it if I carry him?" 

Wei ying was sure that this would solve the problem temporarily. As expected JiXian smiled upon the offer. 

While this happened, Lan zhan eyed the guard, and the guard left the spot reluctantly. Earlier, Lan zhan noticed the guard walking too close to Wei ying and he didn't like it. 

It was already dark when the family reached the inn. 

The two Lan guards were waiting there for their young masters to arrive. 

Before Lan zhan could pay for the extra room, Wei ying stopped him from doing so. 

"I shall pay for my room." Wei ying insisted. 

"Where do JiXian stay?" The little one asked, his eyes looking at his father and then his mama. 

Thus the idea of getting an extra room was put off. Wei ying had never thought that he would be sharing a room with his Lan zhan again. 

Inside the room, on the bed, on one side of JiXian was Wei ying and on the other side was Lan zhan. 

JiXian's eyelids were drooping but he was trying hard not to fall asleep. 

"Baby, Mama isn't leaving." Wei ying assured with a kiss. 

"Mama, come back to Gusu?" JiXian's voice was too low, like he would cry, if there was even a slightest change in Wei ying's expression. Who would have thought that the little one was this much troubled thinking about his mother. 

Wei ying took his time to answer.

Lan zhan felt waves of lightning hitting his heart violently. His little sunshine had asked the question, which he himself didn't dare to at the fear of rejection. It was not just JiXian waiting for an answer. 

"But that is not mama's home." Wei ying just cannot bear to break his son's heart. He also didn't miss to notice the strange emotion in his husband's eyes. 

"But my baby is welcome to visit your mama anytime." Wei ying blurted out knowing what it could bring in the future. But he was sure that the old man wouldn't let JiXian meet him again.  

Wei ying patted his baby boy to put him to sleep, his own heart throbbing like it would burst anytime soon. It's hard to pretend when the doe eyes were looking at him desperately. 

JiXian fell asleep after a while. Wei ying knew that he must be ready to answer this question a few more times until JiXian gave up. 

Wei ying saw that his Lan zhan had also fallen asleep. But Wei ying didn't have the luxury to sleep since he was aware that this was a one time opportunity to be with his husband and son. He took in every detail that was about his son, including the length of eyelashes, the tip of the nose, the baby fingers, the deep black locks, the fragrance, and everything. About his husband, it felt inappropriate to look at him when he was asleep, so Wei ying didn't. 

Wei ying closed his eyes just when he assumed that it must be close to the wake up time of the Lans. Unlike Wei ying, Lan zhan slept like a baby after several years. It was perfect that it was impossible for the family of three to predict the things that awaited them for the next day. 

Based on the orders received from their lord, the lan guards' assignment was to keep the orphan boy away as much as possible. Earlier in the day, the young master Lan didn't let them tag along. And since the reunion was after three years, they had let it slide. 

But the orphan boy had the audacity to share a room with their young masters, that too despite their clear threat. This cannot go on. The boy should be taught a lesson to let him learn his place. It looked like the threats were inefficient when they remained just as threats. So they had devised a plan. 

As a result, a bow and a poisoned arrow was ready in Wei ying's name.

A single wrong move from Wei wuxian by getting closer to their masters, the arrow will be shot at the orphan boy, without wasting anymore time.