18. One more time

Wei ying took his time in opening his eyes slowly, just in time to see his husband and the one person who didn't want to see ever in this lifetime. The oldfox. 

He ignored the two and tilted his head to the side. JiXian was waving a fan back and forth at him, his movements very light, so as to not disturb his mother. 

The white curtains, cloud patterns, sandalwood fragrance and the chillness in the air, re-confirmed Wei ying that he was back in Cloud recesses. 

Regarding when he was brought here, Wei ying didn't remember quite well. It must have been after he was shot by an arrow, when they were out in the village street. Two things that he could remember vividly were, one, the arrow was aimed at his son JiXian, two, he and Lan zhan had a big argument. 

It was a month ago when all these things happened. Lan zhan was waiting in a shop to get the candies the two Xian's wanted. It was exactly at that moment an arrow came straight towards JiXian. Wei ying was quick enough to block it with his own body, resulting in the arrow invading his abdomen flesh. Wei ying understood that it was a trick, this way Lan zhan will have to doubt everyone in the cultivation world, as the attack was aimed on the chief cultivator's son. Lan zhan had sent the two guards away, one in search of the attacker and the other to Cloud recesses to get medical assistance. Poor him, he didn't think that this whole incident was done by the two guards. 

Wei ying's wound was very deep, but thankfully Wei ying was unconscious for the next two weeks to feel any pain. 

Lan zhan stopped the poison from spreading further, however Wei ying's poor health condition due to inadequate care in the past few years, didn't cooperate well with the treatment. The situation asked for healers who could actually determine what is happening with the system. 

It took a week for Lan zhan to receive a letter from his sect. The letter from the head healer said that it would be better if the person is brought to the sect, sooner the better. 

However, Lan zhan knew that Wei ying wouldn't want to go back there. It was a place that made him feel like he was in a cage. Lan zhan could have asked for the help of healers from outside, but that would require him to leave the patient and his son alone in the inn to contact them, which he wouldn't dare to, considering the lack of safety. The two guards hadn't returned, leaving Lan zhan with no other choice. He paid a good amount for a carriage and started his journey towards Gusu.  

After two weeks of sleep when Wei ying woke up, he was in a carriage, his husband and son were boring holes in his face with their eyes. 

Most importantly Wei ying was lying on his husband's lap.

He hissed at the stinging pain when he tried to move. A hand pressed him down, holding him protectively. 

"Where are we headed to?" Wei ying asked the two people. 

JiXian looked at his mother, his expression saying that he cannot reveal. 

"To cloud recesses" 

"Where??" Wei ying's ignored the raw pain and tried to get up but failed. 

"Cloud recesses" Lan zhan answered not letting the person move.  

"I don't want to go back. Stop the carriage" Wei ying shouted. 

Wei ying grunted in pain, as the wound remained fresh due to the poisonous content. 

"Stop moving" 

"Mama, don't be angry" 

The more Wei ying saw his son, the more he became afraid of losing him. 

"I am saying I don't want to go back." Wei ying's anger seethed as the person responsible was not even looking at him anymore. 

"Can't you hear what I am saying" 

"Rest" came the reply. 

Fear of losing his family made Wei ying's brain lose its sense that he wasn't thinking straight.

"Stop the carriage!!!!" 

"I am fine. I will be alright after a few days of rest" 

Wei ying saw the fear stricken face of his son, due to his actions. It instantly made his blood boil. He had already lost his purpose of life when he was living a life away from him, but now this incident is making his son look at him in fear. 

Even now Lan zhan wasn't reacting to him. 

"Who do you think you are to make decisions for me?" 

"Your husband" 

Lan zhan's voice was still calm, however his eyes had a tint of red. He looked away as soon as he answered. 

Wei ying fell silent. 

Wei ying felt a huge rock crushing his heart. 

"Lan zhan?" 

"Let me take care of you, mn?" Wei ying's heart couldn't take it anymore, and the rest of the journey continued with Lan zhan and JiXian worrying about Wei ying who fell into unconsciousness again. 

Back to the present, Wei ying was still so angry at Lan zhan that he avoided eye contact wherever possible. The only time he spoke to him directly was when he requested Lan zhan to keep JiXian with him throughout the time he will be in cloud recesses. This includes teaching JiXian in Jingshi in his presence. To him, the thing that mattered the most was his son's safety. So he made a bargain. 

Lan zhan agreed without hesitation as he also thought that it would be better for JiXian to spend more time with his mother, also this could help in the recovery of Wei ying. 

Wei ying's wound was starting to heal but the healer had told Lan zhan that it is necessary for Wei ying to rest for a few months as he is malnourished. This discovery needs no healer as it was clearly visible. The Wei ying now looked like a skeleton with skin plastered all over.  Only his face looked okay. 

Lan zhan wouldn't have found it if not for the days he used to clean up Wei ying during the days he was unconscious. 

He also found few fading criss cross marks in the shoulder and the legs of Wei ying. 

Knowing Wei ying's living state, he is not going to let this man walk out of his life this time.