Chapter 41: Footprints In The Sand

The night had fallen and the air was against my face. I was walking down the beach looking as the sun began set. The colors of the sky was just beautiful and it put my heart at ease. That was what I did when I needed to get away from the hell hole I was living in at the moment, it felt like my whole world was just spinning out of control. And no matter how much I said I couldn't deal with it, I knew I didn't have a choice but to.

I sat down in the earths sand and looked out to the ocean watching as the waves rushed onto the shore. I loved the smell of the ocean it reminded me of when Michael and went on our honeymoon on Liyah Island. I remember when we made love there on the island but then we stopped because a crab was crawling towards us and I started screaming my head off. I smiled at that memory because now that I think about it the thing wasn't even all that big. We hadn't been back there since then because we hand been to busy, we've talked about but our plans were always sidetracked.

Just then my phone started buzzing. I sighed and took it out my pocket. " Hello?"

"Hey Aaliyah." he said.

" What's going on? "I asked ever since Jordie had heard about Evans little trip here he's been trying to keep a close eye on him for Michael and I.

"Well nothing really, I was just calling to check on you and Michael, how are you doing? "

I sighed loudly into the phone and ran my fingers through my hair." We're hanging on, Jordie. We're hanging on, we have court in the morning." I said.

" I know, I'm going." he said." You know Debbie is going to be testifying against Michael in the morning, right? "

I frowned my eyebrows." Really? " I asked almost to myself." I didn't know that."

"Oh I thought Michael told you, when we found out you were in the hospital because of your....high blood pressure, right? "

" Yeah."

" Yeah well we found out then. I don't know what she's going to say, shot I don't even know what she looks like but I know she's going to be testifying."

I chuckled." Okay well that outta be interesting, thanks for the heads up on that."

"No prob, and try your best not to get all sarcastic and everything with that judge you know what Kiara said about that."

I rolled my eyes to the dark purple sky." Whatever, that judge is an asshole, so if I get sarcastic with him then that's his fault not mine."

He laughed." Okay, you have a point there."

"Don't I always?" I asked smiling into the phone.

He laughed."Yes you do, listen I have to go, but tell Michael and the kids I said hello."

" I will."

" Alright, bye."

I hung up the phone and began biting my thumb nail. I knew it was going to be completely awkward to having Michael's ex-wife testifying against him considering the fact that I had only met her once and she was the mother of two of our children and they see me as her mother and not her. Talk about drama. Sometimes I wondered if she would ever come to Michael and say that she wants to be apart of their life; although, Paris is six and is seven and both of them doesn't even know she exists.

"Momma? " I heard a voice from behind me say.

I turned around to see Paris standing behind me." What are you doing out here?" I asked.

" Daddy wanted me to come and get you, he says he wants to talk to you."

" Okay I'll be there in a minute. " I said.

" What are you doing? "

I shook my head."Nothing just thinking."

She sat down next to me." Are you thinking about Daddy? " She asked." Is he gonna go to jail?" she asked.

I looked down at her with confusion then I realized that she was also questioned by that detective. I smiled it off and placed my arm around her."No baby, he's not, I'm not gonna let that happen."

"So I shouldn't worry about it? " She asked.

"No you don't, your too young to worry about it."

" I love Daddy, I don't see him leave us." she said.

I sighed and pulled her closer to me. " I love him too, sweetheart, I really do. That's why we have to fight with love and we will get through this."

She looked up at me. "You promise you'll always be there for us? "

"Baby, I love you and your brothers and sisters and I've always loved your father and no matter what, I will always be there you all are my family."

"And family sticks together? "

" For All Time." I assured her.

She gave me a hug. " I think we should go inside Daddy is waiting on us come in."

" Shouldn't I be the one saying that? " I asked.

She shook her head.

I smiled." I guess not." I said as I stood up and dust the sand off the back of my legs and thighs. Paris did the same. When we finished I took her hand and headed towards the house. Leaving our footprints in the sand.