Checks ~ Little Sturniolo

* ^ Taken from Bryant's Instagram^. Also, love this photo of the boys. Easily a new favourite group photo *

Maddi's P.O.V

Getting back home and trying to process exactly what the skin specialist had informed mum and I. "Damn Mads, you look like shit" Chris jokes as he jumps down the stairs and sits beside me on the couch "Remember how I said how I was constantly itching?" He nods "I'm not crazy, it's stage four melanoma," I say quietly, tears in my eyes as I look over at one of my older brothers "I'm starting chemotherapy on Monday and if that doesn't work, surgery" I whisper absolutely terrified for chemo. "What's the survival rate of melanoma?" Chris asks concerned "92.3%, but that's five years once it's removed and it's unlikely to come back," I say quietly "But that statistic is based on having treatment from stage one. Chris, I have stage four untreated melanoma, my survival rate is slim" I whisper with tears slipping down my cheeks. "I'm probably going to pass in a year," I say watching Chris closely before shuffling closer to him and hugging him tightly, absolutely terrified.

"Hey, sweetheart, how you feeling?" Mum asks quietly as I wake up from surgery in the hospital, stroking my head softly since I lost my hair to chemo "Like death" I admit, knowing my mum doesn't want to hear that, but I do. Everything's heavy and I feel so weak and useless and sore, so incredibly sore. "Did it go OK? Do I longer have skin cancer?" I ask quietly, my voice raw and groggy "They'll do a pet scan in a few days to determine that" Mum replies and I can see her holding back the tears "It's going to be alright mum, I'm alright" I say reaching for her hand, she nods as a couple of tears slip down her cheeks, not wanting to lose her only baby girl. "Dad is coming today," She says looking on the bright side "Are the boys coming?" I ask hopeful, wanting to see them but last I heard, they were in LA, recording for their podcasts.

Third Person's P.O.V

Justin, Nick, Chris and Matt lay in Maddi's hospital room, late in the evening and going into the early hours of the morning, when one of Maddi's monitors starts beeping constantly, waking Justin. As he presses the nurse button, he realises which monitor woke him. Her heart monitor. Tapping his younger brothers awake, he distracts them out of the room "Shouldn't one of us stay with her? In case something happens" Nick suggests as they stood in the hallway, nurses rushing into her room "The nurses have her, let's go grab something to eat from the cafeteria" Justin recommends, leading them away from their sister's room, texting their parents to rush to the hospital.

"Justin. What's happened?!" Marylou asks rushing over to her four sons sitting outside Maddi's room, the boys stand up and look between each other before landing on the eldest of them "Maddi, she...that infection...took her" Justin announces quietly to his parents that his little sister had passed away. Marylou immediately turns to Jimmy, hysterically crying at the loss of her youngest child and her only daughter. "No, no, no" She cries "She was cleared. They took it out. She's seventeen, she doesn't deserve this" Marylou cries as she holds her husband who tried his best to comfort her but was crying himself at the news. The four boys had never seen their parents cry together or witnessed someone passing and they had all lost their little sister. Their beloved little sister. Wrapping their arms around their parents in a tight embrace as they process what has happened.

"Here rests Maddison Mary Sturniolo. Beloved sister, daughter, granddaughter and friend. Until we meet again little one. 04/21/05~09/13/2022". The flowers at Maddison's grave never seemed to die, friends and family visited every week or anytime they were in town and laid more. Her brothers never forgetting their baby sister and continuously talked about and never let her memory fade. Her parents strong advocates for skin cancer and getting checked constantly and watching their boys live their lives for their sister.

**Hello, Charlie here. This wasn't the original chapter I had planned (I swear I say that every week) but my ex-neighbour passed away on Tuesday 13/9/22 and he has two girls: one a few months younger than I am and the other, three years younger than me so I wanted to, I guess, honour and remember him. He was a very kind and intelligent man, who worked for the Australian military and he will be greatly missed. I know not everyone likes this type of sad, emotional chapter, but it's for him and I'll try not to write too many emotional ones. As always, requests are always and any interaction is greatly appreciated. ~ Byeeeee Charlie