1 Is Typing...

"I'M GOING TO THE CORNER STORE MA! LOVE YOU!" I close the front door behind me and the night breeze hits me like a slap in the face

       "I'M GOING TO THE CORNER STORE MA! LOVE YOU!" I close the front door behind me and the night breeze hits me like a slap in the face. I zip up my jacket. I rarely went out at night because of the bad things that were bound to happen but this time I had to so that I could have something to eat in the morning before school. Also, my mom wanted a kit-kat and whatever she wants, she gets. I'd do anything to get her the little breakable candy.

She's my everything. Since birth, I've been attached. Every day we'd take strolls to the park as the sun shined down on us and when I was younger, my mom would smile up at it.

"Mommy, why are you smiling at the sun?" I once asked her at four years old.

"Because it rises for us every day, when we're happy and when we're sad. It never turns its back on us, even when we turn our back on it." I look up at her with my big brown eyes and she taps my nose. "And it gives me the vitamin D I need to maintain this pretty coco skin." She holds her arms out with a smile and I look at them before holding my arms out too.

"Do I have pretty coco skin too?'

She looks at me lovingly. "You do."

I started smiling at the sun too after that. I'd greet the sun and give it a farewell as it set.

We stopped taking those strolls the day after my ninth birthday. After the incident.

       We didn't live in the best area when it came to Chicago and after the accident, I begin to see that. Before, all I saw were the good things in life when it came to the outside world. Now, all I see is the cracked and ragged sidewalks, beat-up and spray-painted buildings, and the no-good people who roamed the streets.

        I approached the corner store and the bell dinged.

        "Wassup, Mr.Colby," I greet the store owner. He was an elder. "How are you?"

      He smiles. "Oh, I'm just dandy."

I nod at his response and make my way to the back where the freezers were.

       "How's school going for you?" He asks.

       "Pretty good. I'm trying to do the best for my mom." I scan the jugs of milk before grabbing the best-looking one.

       I hear him hum. "You're a good kid."

       I grab a random stick of donuts before going back to the front. "That's all I want to be. I want to make her proud." I set the things on the counter and grab two kit-kat bars from the candy section below me. He begins to scan my things and I look around while I wait. I peep the 'help wanted' sign on the clear glass separating us and instantly smirk. "Soo..." I begin, "you need help? Where can I apply?"

        He shakes his head in disapproval.

        "But, whyyy," I groan. "I want to start making some money."