5 Is Typing...

I SPLASH WATER ON MY FACE BEFORE staring into the mirror with a sigh

I SPLASH WATER ON MY FACE BEFORE staring into the mirror with a sigh. Today is my birthday and by now I would've gone to get myself a cake.

Last night I decided that if I wanted to get it I'd go earlier than usual, around 8:00. But, I woke up late so that idea flew out of the window. It would've been great if I did wake up earlier though because I could've gotten it before my mom woke up. She wakes up around nine and I wake up at ten and that's the time I woke up today. So, once I got up I fixed her some tea while I made her breakfast and by the time I was done eating alongside her it was twelve.

I let it be known that I'd go get the cake but obviously I never went. And it was now 2:00.

         After I got shot I've been avoiding going outside whenever I could. The times I couldn't avoid was when we needed groceries. I go with my close friend, Sammi, and it helps me feel better about the whole situation. That's also the time I get to spend with her since I hadn't been going to school since the incident.

So, why not just go with her to get the cake, right?

Well, I can't. Because she's busy so I'm all alone today.

I leave the bathroom and go to my mom's room to let her know that I may not get a cake this year. "Ma—" I halt once I realize she's asleep. Freak. I go to the living room and sit on the couch, twiddling my thumbs. I'd rather have just told her now because the longer I wait, the longer I'll think about trying to talk myself into going, only making my anxiety worse.

A knock on the door causes me to snap out of my thoughts with a jump and I go to the window to check who it is.

Nique.

I open the door. "...What are you...doing here?" I trail off once I notice, the empty wheelchair. "What is that for?"

       "Damn, I can't get a hey? Wassup? How you doing. I miss you, I haven't seen you all week."

        I frown. "I miss you?—What?"

       Nique chuckles. "Nothing man. Can I just come in?"

       I scratch my head. "Yeah... my bad." I move out of the way and watch as she rolls this wheelchair into the living room. We sit down and she gets comfortable.

"Yo birthday passed yet?"

"It's today..."

"For real?" I nod. "Well, I'm right on time. Happy birthday."

"Thank you, but...right on time for what?"

"I was planning on taking you and your ma to the park for your birthday week but I got you on the day so that's even better."

"Huh?"

"Huh?" she mocks me. "You deaf?"

"N-No, just—it's out of the blue."