11 Is Typing...

"THIS IS REALLY NICE NISEY!" Are you thinking about taking a career in an Arts Major?"

        I shrug. I was sitting on the stool next to my art teachers desk who was looking at my latest project.

"You should really look into it. Your work is amazing and it's getting better by the day." She grabs a flyer from her drawer. "There's an art competition coming up next week. You should go. If you win, you're rewarded 100 dollars."

I liked the sound of that. "I'll look into it. Thanks."

"You're welcome. Have a nice afternoon."

"You too."

           After school, Karsonique picked me up.

"Wassup lil girl."

I roll my eyes. "Stop calling me that." Ever since we've gotten back on good terms, she's made it her duty to annoy me.

"How was school?"

"It was good," I say as I put my seatbelt on and she pulls off.

"That Sammi bitch ain't been botherin' you has she?" I shake my head.

          "She just give me weird looks."

           Nique scoffs with a chuckle. "I swear girls are so petty."

           I become offended. "I'm not petty."

          "I know shawty. I ain't speakin' on all girls just certain ones." She takes us to that soul food spot and I go in with her. I had never been in here before. It looked nice and it smelt amazing. "Hey Carly tell my ma I'm here," she told the cashier and Carly went to get her.

         A woman comes out and my eyes widen. She didn't look as old as I thought. No offense. Her skin wasn't sagging and she barely had wrinkles let alone grey hair.

"Hey baby. The original?"

"Yeah but make it two."

Her Granmda sends the ticket back and then looks at me. "Who might you be?"

"I'm Nisey."

"That's a pretty name. But why are you with my daughter?" Her voice became snappy at the end and I was taken aback.

What does she mean by that?

Nique quickly grabs me and pulls me to her side. "She not my girl ma. We jus' friends."

Her grandma squints at me and I bite the inside of my cheek. "Oh okay. But I'm assuming this is who you bought that plate for the last time, right?"

"Yeah."

"You don't buy your other friends plates."

"They don't need me to buy them plates."