22 Is Typing...

Pink rose petals littered the floor as well as Hershey Kisses, leading to the bed

Pink rose petals littered the floor as well as Hershey Kisses, leading to the bed. My eyes immediately water as I begin to drown in regret.

"Nique," I say, my voice cracking. I look up at her and she nods sincerely.

"I know ma. Go on." I slowly enter the room, my hand still over my mouth. Strawberry PoundCake scented candles filled my nose and I noticed that the petals and chocolates were scattered all around the rest of the floor. Heart-shaped balloons covered the ceiling as well as clear ones that held rolled-up money.

The rose petals were also on the bed, in the shape of a heart. A big pink bear sat against her pillows holding my favorite candy: White Lindor Chocolate Truffles. I shook my head, my vision blurring. This was too much.

I sit on the bed, sniffling as I scooted back a little. "Stop crying. I love you," she told me.

            "I love you too. I'm sorry." I begin crying harder, reaching for her. She gets in between my legs and bends down to hug me while my arms wrapped around her neck. "I'm so sorry." She kisses my neck and I stuff my face in her chest.

             "It's aight mama." She kisses me on the lips before rubbing my lower back. "Sit in the middle."

           I scoot to the middle, careful not to mess up the heart she created, and wiped my eyes. She sat across from me and gestured to the bear. "Look behind the chocolate." I removed it from the bear's arms, putting it aside and there was a pink envelope. I grabbed it.

To my love, Nisey.

         I look at her with a pout before opening it. It was a card. My name was printed on it and I opened it, a couple 100 dollars falling out.

I love you to the moon and back.

I tear up again. I shouldn't be the one crying like this. I fall into her, wrapping my arms around her neck again. I truly hate myself. "I wish I hadn't treated you like that."

She shushes me, rubbing my sides. "You had every right."

"No, I didn't. You was tryna surprise me and I flipped on you. Putting my hands on you and assuming the worse."

"You didn't know ma. It's coo'. Stop cryin'." She kisses my tears away but more came as I stared into her eyes. She didn't look the same. I didn't see a gang leader, I saw a woman who just wanted to love someone, that someone being me. I gently rubbed her birthmark before kissing it.

            "You're so beautiful. I don't deserve you."

              "Don't say that lil baby. You gone have me regardless What'chu think." We sat there in each other's arms for a while until I was free of crying and sniffling. "No moe tears."