6 Is Typing...

"SEE YOU LATER, MAMA

"SEE YOU LATER, MAMA. I LOVE YOU." I kiss her cheek before leaving home. "Good morning, Sun." I smile up at it softly before making my way to the side walk.

I'm eligible to go back to school now. I'm still a little sore in the chest but that's about it.

"Friend! I missed you." Sammi throws herself onto me once I'm at the bus stop.

"I missed you too." She pulls away and examines me. "Damn, I still can't believe you got shot. And I can tell you did 'cause you walking all stiff like my Nigga was when he did."

I roll my eyes playfully. Her "nigga" always gets brought into our conversation one way or another.

"But, what did you do for your birthday? I'm sure I would've known sooner if you could call and text me. You really need to get a phone."

I sigh. "I know. But, I went to get a cake, and me and my mama went to the park with my bro."

She cocks her neck back. "Bro? What bro?"

"The girl who took me to the hospital."

"Hold on! Let's rewind. What girl? 'Cause, you sholl neva told me 'bout no girl." When Sammi offered to start walking with me to the corner store I didn't tell her the full story. I just told her that I got shot and went to the hospital.

"Her name's Karsonique."

"Karsonique?" she mumbles. "That sounds familiar."

"I don't remember her taking me to the hospital but when I woke up she was there."

"Okay....but how did she end up taking you and yo Ma to the park?"

"To be honest...I can't really tell you. She just showed up on my porch one day and surprised me."

Sammi gives me a weird look.

"She also went with me to buy the cake. And when I was in the hospital she got my mom elder care 'cause I had nobody to look after her."

Her eyes bug. "Dang! She must got big bucks. Those aren't cheap."

"That's what I'm sayin'! But she insisted."

She side-eyes me. "Girl, I'm not tryna be like, weird or nothing but like... she treatin' you like you her girl or som'n and she barely know you. Do you know why she doin' all'a this?"

I look off in thought. I never really thought about it. Why is she?

      "I don't know."

When the bus pulls up we get on. "How did your mom like the park?" Sammi asks once we sit.

"She loved it. I haven't seen her smile so much." I smile just thinking about it.

"Awww, I miss her. I need to come over sometime and catch up with her."