7 Is Typing...

WE PULL UP TO A SOUL food spot

WE PULL UP TO A SOUL food spot. Nique got us some candied yams, macaroni, collard greens, cornbread and fried chicken before getting back in the car to eat.

"This food is really good," I tell her.

"It's my G Ma spot. I always try to come when I can so I can see her."

I want to ask questions but I refrain.

        "I forgot to give you this on yo birthday." She wipes her hands and mouth before reaching to the back and giving me a box. It was in gold shiny wrapping paper with a black bow.

       "What's this?"

       "Open it and see."

       I do so and immediately shake my head. "I can't take this." I didn't take the wrapping off completely but I knew instantly that it was some type of phone because of the picture on the front.

"Why?"

"Because. I know these things cost a lot of money—"

"And you know I got a lotta money, so what's the problem?"

"You're just spending it on me. And we just met a month ago."

She waves me off. "Man, I'm always buying folks shit. I make sure the people on my block is good. You thinking too hard."

I sigh. There's no winning with her. I rip the rest of the paper off. It was the latest iPhone. "Nique," I say wearily, rubbing my forehead. "I can't—"

"Shhhh." She puts her finger over her lips. "Ain't no point tryna tell me you not gone take it because it ain't coming back with me."

"Thank you, man." My voice cracks. Ever since I got shot it seems like everything has been falling into place. If I wouldn't have been out that night to get hit, I wouldn't have met her let alone been getting the blessings I have.

          Is this what she meant when she said everything happens for a reason?

"You know how to use a gun?" Nique asks.

"No. Why?"

"I'm gonna teach you how to. It's about time you learn how to handle one so you can protect yourself."

        "But... you said you had this whole thing down packed. You said you won't let our block get shot up again.

      "Regardless. I'm not gone always be here, so you need to be able to fend for yourself. And you should wanna learn how to do that. Don't expect to always depend on somebody."

         "Aight."

       Once we're done eating Nique drives onto a dirt road before turning the car off. She grabs a gun from her glove compartment and then leads me into the forest where a "gun range" was setup. It was really just a few can's and beer bottle's sitting on multiple tree stumps.