Chapter 8

"Do you want to die?" The young Duke asked, as his fierce eyes bored into Jisoo's.

Jisoo quickly untangled herself from the duke. Jungkook immediately glared at Jisoo who couldn't meet his eyes and kept staring the floor instead. Jisoo flinched when she saw the young duke's feet move, taking a step towards her but even before Jisoo could make a move, Irene's voice interrupted them once again.

"Jungkook! You came!" Irene looked so delighted to see her childhood friend.

Jisoo almost forgot about the fact that the young duke also grew up closely with Irene and the crown prince. Jungkook deeply cares for Irene despite his wild and violent nature. It was a known fact that he and the crown prince became distant because of their feelings for the young lady who eventually chose to be with Taehyung, becoming the crown princess.

"Irene." Jungkook whispered to where Jisoo heard and noticed how his tone changed to a softer one. "I heard the crown prince already left. That's why I came to escort you back instead."

Jisoo wanted to run away, feeling nauseous. She could still feel herself trembling and she tried her best to control her breathing but everything was just too much just after seeing the terrifying eyes of the young duke earlier.

"Milady? Are you alright?"

Hoseok, suddenly appeared by Jisoo's side, looking concerned at the way Jisoo looked very pale. He unconsciously held Jisoo's arm, helping her.

Both Irene and the duke finally noticed what was going on with Jisoo and Irene immediately voiced out her concern. "Lady Jisoo? What's wrong?"

Jisoo didn't want to be noticed by them anymore. All she wanted was to get away from that place and to never see them again. Her wish to live longer this time immediately came into her mind again, thinking about not crossing path with these people.

"I'm alright." Jisoo's face quickly straightened.

Jisoo tugged her arms free from the Head priest's hold and stood steadily in front of the young duke. She willed herself to bow gracefully, thinking about apologizing and leaving right after. But even before she could say anything, her personal knight came.

"Milady." Suga called and gave a slight bow towards the rest of them.

"Sir August." Jisoo looked surprised by his sudden appearance.

"August?" Jungkook's eyes lingered to the newly arrived knight. "I know of you. You're the second son of marquis August."

Jisoo noticed how Suga suddenly went rigid. Jisoo immediately remember the fact that the knight's noble house is under the Duke Jeonard's jurisdiction. It was a known fact that Suga, being the youngest son of their family chose to be a knight and served the Kimberhald Dukedom instead.

"You know—" The young duke started and everyone seemed to be mindful of his next words. "The truth is, I've been observing you as a knight for quite a while now. And I'm just saying that your talent is being wasted by babysitting some spoiled princess." Jungkook finished.

The young duke saw how Jisoo's face looked flushed, looking embarrassed and he didn't care at all. Jungkook heard talks about the said lady being villainous and he even once saw her bullying Irene in the past. Jungkook assumed that the young lady of the Kimberhald was still vile towards everyone around her, being spoiled by her parents.

On the other hand, Suga looked furious and wanted to say something but Jisoo's hand quickly found his wrist, stopping him. "Milady—"

"Well, if you say it like that—" Jisoo started, turning to face the young duke. "Please excuse me and my escort knight. You see, I'm kind of late  preparing for my next change of clothing. I still have about three outfit changes for the whole party. You know, being spoiled and all." Jisoo smiled bitterly before bowing slightly and left with her escort knight.

The young duke looked aghast, and heard someone snorting. Jungkook turned to see the head priest trying his best not to laugh. Meanwhile, Irene seemed to be confused about what just happened and just stared at Jungkook worriedly.

"You shouldn't have angered the lady." Hoseok noted and turned to face Irene this time. "My lady, I shall retire for the night since tomorrow is supposed to be the start of the holy week celebration of the empire and I still need to prepare for it." He informed and gave Irene a quick kiss on her hand.

***to be continued***