Chapter 22

Jisoo's eyes opened and saw the familiar canopy of her bed. She heaved a deep sigh of relief realizing that she's alive. She suddenly felt thirsty and was about to reach for it when she realized that something was holding her other hand. Her eyes fell on the sleeping figure of her twin brother sleeping with his hand holding onto Jisoo's.

"Jimin." Jisoo called with her hoarded voice.

Jimin woke up and his red tired eyes finally saw Jisoo sitting up on her bed. "Jisoo! Thank god!" Jimin's eyes watered as he pulled Jisoo into his embrace. "You stupid girl! Why did you just wake up now? It's been three days, you idiot!" He scolded.

"Three days?!!" Jisoo was stunned. "What happened during the ritual?" She asked.

Jimin finally let go of his sister and that's when their brother Jin entered the room with their parents. The sobbing from their mother stopped them from talking about what happened. It was quite a long cry and all Jisoo could do was reassure them that she was okay.

"Then I'll take your mother." Their father stated. "Come on dear. We should let our daughter rest and you too should calm down." He added.

"Alright. Call me if there's any problem, okay princess?" Their mother said and kissed her daughter goodbye and let herself be escorted.

Jin took the glass of water from Jisoo and placed it on the side table. Jisoo smiled gratefully and Jin finally was able to hug his sister. Jisoo sighed deeply, feeling comfortable. Jimin smiled seeing his sister look well.

"Now tell me what happened exactly." Jisoo exclaimed.

Jin was the one who narrated everything. It was when Jisoo lost her consciousness that everything went chaotic. The Kimberhald household was fast on their feet and tried to get to Jisoo. The Head priest was quick to use his holy power to heal Jisoo while the young duke Jeonard together with his knights quickly apprehended the culprit who disguised himself as a temple priest. It was later revealed by the Jeonard dukedom that thanks to the early apprehension that the culprit wasn't able to summon the monsters. The culprit was wearing a specialized ring that can somehow summon the monsters and it became a great lead for the search of the mastermind.

"Wait. Are you saying that there's someone else behind this?" Jisoo asked, looking incredulous. "And did the culprit revealed who is it?"

"No." Jimin answered. "Duke Jeonard even went on torturing the guy just to spill it but the only thing he said was that his master will surely reveal the truth and destroy the evil that came back into the world. Blah blah blah." He continued. "Who cares about what that psycho said? He's dead anyway."

"Dead?" Jisoo was shocked.

"He took his own life by taking a poisoned pill which he carried with him." Jin stated. "Anyway, you should get more rest. Jimin, you come with me to the imperial palace. Sir August will guard her instead." Jin said and stood up but not before giving Jisoo a peck on the side of her head.

Several days past and Jisoo was in full health. Her family decided to stop any visitors from coming in order for Jisoo to fully heal and Jisoo enjoyed the peaceful days until a letter from the imperial palace arrived.

"Jisoo dear—" Their father started after reading the letter. "You are ordered to enter the palace as one of the candidates for crown princess." He revealed and Jisoo's face fell. "I know this is sudden but actually we already delayed your entry because of your health but this time we couldn't extend it anymore."

"The entry into the palace was supposed to be right after the Holy Week ritual." Her mother added. "But don't worry dear, you are allowed to bring with you your personal maid and a knight guard. We specifically requested it from the his majesty."

"I— I understand." Jisoo answered, feeling defeated.

***to be continued***