Chapter 12

Jisoo wished that she could just wore their family's hunting wear and join her brothers to the hunt, than to just sit there with all the noble ladies boasting and fawning with each other. Jisoo smiled to herself, remembering the her past self who loves to do these things, especially if she was the center of it all. She felt funny, thinking that now all she thought about was surviving, not caring about all the worldly pleasures.

"Lady Jisoo?"

Jisoo suddenly flinched when she heard her name being called and when she finally woke up from her own thoughts, all the ladies' eyes were now focused on her.

"Pardon?" Jisoo looked lost. "I apologize lady Velvet, did you say something?"

"My gosh, lady Kimberhald. The lady is talking and you weren't listening?"

"How rude."

Every lady started to murmur, looking towards Jisoo with their scrutinizing looks. Jisoo saw how Lady Ji Eun was about to intervene but Jisoo grab her hand under the table, stopping her.

"Now, now ladies." Irene came in. "I'm sure the lady is just nervous. After all, it's been awhile since she came to the social events. Right, lady Jisoo?" Irene turned to look at Jisoo.

Jisoo wasn't sure but she thought she saw the lady of Velvet smirking before smiling to her. "Uh— Yes. The lady Irene is right." Jisoo finally answered, not minding what she saw.

"But I wonder why, though?"

"Yeah. Everyone knows the young lady of Kimberhald likes social events."

Jisoo's face contorted. "Well, I guess people change, you know." She smiled awkwardly.

"Oh. You really think that, lady Kimberhald?" Irene stated, looking somewhat annoyed and Jisoo couldn't help but thought that something seems different about the lady.

The other ladies didn't even noticed the sudden tension and kept on gossiping until one of the ladies changed the topic.

"So lady Velvet, we all saw how the young duke and the crown prince escorted you."

"I know, right? I mean you three grew up together, right?"

"So it obviously made you close. But not after what happen to your family—"

"Hush!"

Hearing the last bit from one of the ladies, Irene's face turned grim. Everyone was aware of what happened to their family when Irene's grandfather, the last duke betrayed the empire, causing a huge ruckus. But the Emperial family pardoned the heir of the duke because of their closeness with the emperor and that made the other nobles to protest and detest the Ducal house of Velvet. Irene knew this fact and tried to appease everyone by making sure she wouldn't cause any trouble or involve in any scandals. She made sure to hold onto her connection with the other nobles, especially her childhood friends.

"Look! It's the magician of the Black Tower!"

Everyone was stunned to see the infamous Magician standing behind Jisoo. Everyone knows how rarely the magician shows himself to social gatherings and to see him there with his usual clothing and large hooded red and black cape.

"Hello there, milady." The magician's eyes focused towards Jisoo alone.

"Lord magician!" Irene quickly stood up and tried to approach him but even before she could utter another word, the magician held out his hand towards Jisoo.

"I apologize, ladies. I would like to borrow lady Kimberhald for a while." Namjoon stated, making everyone gape.

Jisoo took his hand but not before giving him a glare. The both of them finally left while the ladies started to murmur once again but this time Irene looked more hostile towards their retreating figures.

***to be continued***