Y/N Prologue

Y/N had a horrible past few months. They sat in the back of a yellow taxi cab headed into New York City. You lean on your elbow on the window cill and rest your cheek in your hand, your tired eyes looking up at the sky scrapers that surrounded you. Your mind rewinds time, bringing back memories you wish you never made.

A few months ago you were at a party at the museum, dressed to the nines in an evening gown of your favorite color. Your father had just discovered a new piece for the Fudal Japan exhibit, a piece of metal armor most likely worn by a shinobi. The museum was abuzz with excited intellectual chatter, all present were excited to see the piece of armor. While you were mingling you just thought about seeing your dad, it had been a long time since you saw him last, you were so excited.

Your mother was driving with your dad in a guarded van to the museum. She was a marine biologist and worked at an aquarium. For the most part she was there to care for and teach others about turtles, both sea and fresh water. You have fond memories of being able to see and touch different species, even feed them with your mom. You found the creatures to be absolutely fascinating.

After waiting for about an hour the doors to the museum open, you turn excitedly with the crowd expecting to see your father, in his ironed black tuxedo, your mother in a dark midnight blue gown to match your fathers tie, but it wasn't them. Instead a young policeman was there looking around the room, scanning for someone, for you.

His gaze finally finds you, his eyes widening slightly as he walks in your direction, people parting like the Red Sea for Moses for the officer. He takes long, purposeful strides towards you and stops looking down at you, he was a little taller than your teenage self and he requests the two of you step away into your fathers office. 

Your heart felt like it would leap out your throat if you spoke. As the officer closed the door he sighs and removes his cap, rubbing his head, ruffling his short brown messy hair.
'What on earth could he want? Why me?' You wonder before the officer cleared his throat to gain your attention.

"Y/N, I am officer Walburn, NYPD." He introduced himself in a calm manner, before giving you the worst news you would ever hear.
"Y/N, I am so sorry, but," he hesitates slightly before steeling himself "your parents have passed away."

After hearing those words, your sight blurs, tears forming, distort your vision. You feel like your choking, hyperventilating as your heart rate rises and ears begin ringing. You hear bits and pieces of what more the officer had to say. A big car crash, no survivors from the truck and the armor piece stolen.

You were swarmed by emotions, they were like bees buzzing around their hive inside you. As you cry, lost in your anger, fear, sadness and Officer Walburn lead you out the back. From there it was all an emotionless nightmare.

You were brought to your Aunts, your paternal aunt and the only other relative you had in the city. She didn't like kids, or teens so no cousins for you but she did grieve with you. The next few weeks you spend with her, you held her hand in the morgue to identify your parents, assist in making arrangements for the funeral as best you could. Family, friends and co-workers attend the funeral on a dark and gloomy Sunday afternoon. 

Time seemed to pass so slowly and get so quickly all at once. After living with dear Auntie for a brief 2 months a deal. To put it gently your aunt didn't enjoy having you around so she made arrangements for you. You were going to a new school and you'd be living in your own apartment. Your Aunt has agreed to pay for your rent until you graduate high school and is providing you with an allowance every month for groceries and basic necessities.

You come out of the trip down memory lane when the taxi came to a halt. Your driver shouted that you had arrived so, you exit the vehicle pay the man, grab your backpack and suit case and head inside. You bring yourself and your bag up a few flights of stairs to your new apartment.

You take the keys in your hand, they were shiny and new thanks to your Aunt insisting the land lord have them freshly made before you moved in. You had a charm on it, a turtle from your mother. Looking at it, you allow yourself a small smile and head inside.

It's a small one room apartment, nothing special but it'll do. Your evening is spent putting things away and setting things up. Of course you only had the bare minimum, couple plates, bowls silverware, a pot and pan for the kitchen. Your bedroom included a bed, blankets sheets, a closet and a dresser. You had everything you needed, you knew you couldn't stay sad forever and your parents wouldn't want you to be.

After you had settled in you heard a knock on the door. Your eyebrow raised slightly as you walk over and look through the little spy glass. There was a girl outside! She had puffy brown hair, glasses and a green and yellow outfit. You figure she wasn't a threat and unbolt the door and open it.

"Hello?" You ask in a soft tone, now coming face to face with another teen, which you had not done in months.

"Hi!" She said enthusiastically. "My name is April," she thrust out her hand towards you "April O'Neil. I live next door," she gestures to the apartment to the left of yours. "I saw you moving in and thought I should introduce myself." 

You pause for a moment taking in this new person and her bright bubbly personality before taking her hand and shaking "I'm Y/N." You introduce yourself politely.

"Well Y/N it is a pleasure to meet you! Say, my mom is working late and I just ordered a pizza, wanna come hang?" She asks you and you immediately say "Yes!" Craving a new friend, someone your age. You walk over to her apartment and when the door opens your net with a strange little creature.

It was blue, yellow and white, big round eyes. Was it a cat? A dog perhaps? Some other sort of majestic animal? Not that it really mattered it melted your heart and you knelt down "hi there little one." You say containing your excitement. "That's Mayhem, he's my uhh cat." She says with wavering confidence. "Yeah! My cat!" She reaffirms with more gusto and confidence.

You giggle as Mayhem rubs against you and you pet him gently. The remainder of your night would be spent watching movies, eating pizza and getting to know April. She was an amazing person and as luck would have it attending the same high school as you! Things were finally looking up, and it would only get more exciting from there on out.