012. Recovery

~Recovery~

⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

Nothing felt the same. Nothing felt real. Even after just burying her mother a few hours prior, she still couldn't believe it. Her mother was dead, never to return. Persephone would never be able to see her mother again. To hear her voice. To hug her tight. To have their usual conversations. All of it was gone.

While everyone stayed inside the house, Persephone sat in the garden, her mother's garden to be exact. Rachel always took care of her garden. Every year she planted different types of flowers. This year they were red roses.

Persephone helped Rachel plant the roses in the ground. A bond they shared every year since Persephone was small.

"Persephone, make sure you plant them correctly." Rachel helped Persephone dig a hole to place the rose inside.

"Why red roses? I know I ask you this every year but you told me it was going to be tulips, what changed?" Persephone asked, wiping the sweat from her forehead.

Rachel smiled. "I don't mind you asking questions, sweetie. But to answer your question, whenever I look at red roses, I think of you."

Persephone raised her brow. "Me? Why me?"

"Think about it. A red rose is a beautiful flower but has thorns surrounding it, protecting it from danger." Rachel responded, looking at her daughter. "Persephone, you are like a red rose. Beautiful but dangerous. The moment we made eye contact, I knew you would be tough but carry class and elegance."

"Is that why you named me Persephone?"

Rachel nodded her head. "Persephone, the moment I had you in my arms, I knew you would do great things but you would be a tough woman. You wouldn't back down to no one."

In a way, Rachel knew how her daughters would turn out. Persephone wasn't like Athena. Persephone always spoke her mind and never feared anyone. She would become a strong willed woman. Something Rachel never got to become.

"I want you to do things you want to do. Love who you want to love. Never let people control your life, not even your own family." Rachel advised. "And anyone who tries, show them hell, I gave you that name for a reason."

"And what if I can't?"

"You will." Rachel caressed her daughter's cheek. "I know you will. You are a strong Persephone, you just haven't seen it yet."

"Will you be there? To guide me, I mean." Persephone couldn't do this without her mother. She didn't know how her future would turn out.

"Even if I'm not here, I will always be here with you." Rachel looked at the butterfly that landed on the rose Persephone was holding. "When I die, I will come back in the form of a butterfly. I will never be far, Persephone."