013. One Thing After the Other

~One Thing After the Other~

⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

A lot had changed since Francis Thornhart left aboard. He was right about one thing, it wasn't for certain when he would be back. Weeks turn into months and months turn into years and there was no sign of Francis Thornhart coming back...at least not now.

In a sense, Persephone felt relieved. Relieved of not sensing the growing tension she had with him. She was able to mourn her mother in peace and in due time, she grew accustomed to the absence of her presence. Persephone was used to feeling, used to never being able to see her mother again. She kept her mother's memory alive by planting her favorite flowers every spring, something the two would do every year. But others didn't feel relieved of not having Francis Thornhart around.

Every day, Athena continued to worry about her father. The constant letters were not enough to satisfy her. She wanted her father present and she prayed every night for his return. Until then, Athena kept herself occupied. Athena gave birth to twin boys, Mattheo and Marcus. In a way, the two boys helped Athena forget about her father's absence.

"Can you believe he's still gone?" Athena asked her sister as they sat outside, watching the boys play around. "It's been three years."

"Three glorious years." Persephone spoke, watching her nephews. She was now 17 years old, becoming more and more beautiful than ever.

"You know, at some point you need to let things go and focus on the future." Athena advised. She never liked the idea of Persephone hating their father. She believed with some time away from each other, things would be different but as years went by, Persephone's mind never changed.

"When your father tells you you're a mistake and hits you, then you can have an opinion. Until then, don't tell me what to do."

Athena had been trying for years to glue the family together, to get Persephone to write to her father and let bygones be bygones but couldn't. She couldn't forgive her father for the years of trauma and abandonment. She couldn't just forgive and forget, it wasn't that simple.

"Are you going to continue popping babies or are you done?" Persephone asked, changing the subject.

Athena sighed, seeing there was nothing she could do. "I think I'm done. Having three kids is a handful."

"I thought you guys were going for a girl?"

Athena shrugged. "Yea? And what if I have a baby and it's another boy? Then what?"

Athena had a point. As much as Athena wanted to have a daughter, she couldn't tell if she would have a boy or a girl next. It wasn't like she could tell the future.

"I mean Lucas is about to turn four while the twins just turned two. I think you can handle another one."

"We'll see. But on to more important topics." Athena smiled, turning towards her sister.