031. Ultimatum

~Ultimatum~

 ⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

Dearest Reader,

One may say modesty is virtue, yet this author is hardly a virtuous woman. It is therefore my great pleasure to announce the news others questioned, but I never doubted. The Greek goddess, the ruby of this season has made her match, officially betrothed to the Duke of Salisbury.

The bride, undoubtedly, is giddy with anticipation over the impending nuptials...an event that will take place sooner rather than later. Of course, there are two reasons to procure a special license and race to the altar: true love, or concealing a far deeper secret.

Yours Truly,

Lady Whistledown

"What is the meaning of this!?!" Robert bursted through Daniel's office in anger.

"Good morning to you too, Robert." Daniel simply chose to ignore the outburst Robert had just made. It was too early to deal with him and his childish ways.

"I thought we all had an agreement that I would be marrying Persephone."

Daniel looked up at Robert, confused. "We did."

"Then, why the fuck is she betrothed to the Duke of Salisbury." Robert slammed the paper down on the desk, making Daniel pick the newsletter from his desk and read it.

To Daniel's surprise, Lady Whistledown announced the marriage between Persephone and James. Claiming that the reason they were rushing the wedding was because of true love. But the one thing that shocked Daniel was how quick the wedding would be. Nobody really knew when the wedding would take place but it was sooner than anyone would hope.

"I don't understand." Daniel kept reading the paper over and over again to understand what was really going on, but the more he read it, the more confused he was.

"You don't understand? Persephone is going to get married very soon and it's not with me." Robert slammed his fist on Daniel's desk. "Everything was going right. Everything was going perfectly right up until now."

"There must be some sort of explanation. There's no way Persephone would have agreed to marry James knowing what was at stake."

Robert shook his head. "Well, it seems as though she didn't really care about those damn properties."

Robert thought he had her. He thought he had her wrap around his finger. That she would have no choice but to marry him. The prideful woman made it extremely difficult but he tried to win her over. Besides...he was always the type to get what he wanted.

As a little boy, if he wanted something, he would get it. Persephone was one of the things he wanted. How she played hard to get made him want her even more. To him, it was about winning a prize. She was the prize and he knew he wanted her, whether that was willingly or by force. But just as he felt like he had her, she slipped away through his fingers and into the arms of James Vronsky.