033. The calm before the Storm

~The calm before the Storm~

⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

A lot has changed since the wedding between James and Persephone. Even though it was merely months ago, to Persephone, it felt like days. Her marriage was everything she had wished for and more. James was always the man she had envisioned in her life. Strong, loving, and was never afraid to show it.

Salisbury had welcomed her with open arms. Excited to have finally seen Elizabeth Vronsky step down and happily give up her title to her daughter-in-law. Persephone was no longer Persephone Thornhart, daughter of the Marquess and the Marchioness. She was Persephone Vronsky, the Duchess of Salisbury—kind of had a nice ring to it. But that title came with power and responsibilities. She couldn't do it alone.

"What color dress is the Duchess feeling for today?" Arabella jokingly asked as she exited the closet.

True to her words, Persephone took Arabella with her. Arabella was practically her best friend and there was no way she would leave without her. Arabella had seen her ups and downs. She was grateful for everything Arabella had done to her, knowing that if it wasn't for her, Persephone wouldn't be married to James. Persephone had vowed to repay her.

Persephone rolled her eyes as the words 'Duchess' slipped through Arabella's lips. "I was thinking blue."

"Perfect." Arabella brought the blue dress out of the closet, placing it on top of the bed. "Which reminds me, your mother-in-law wants to have breakfast with you in the gardens."

Persephone furrowed her brows. "What for?"

Arabella shrugged. "I mean the weather is nice. Maybe she wants to enjoy the calm summer breeze."

Elizabeth had been awfully nice to Persephone during the past few months. She had treated her like a daughter. Making sure she was enjoying her new home. Telling her stories about her mother. Persephone had grown to care for the older woman, slowly seeing her as a motherly figure.

"I hope so." Persephone mumbled as Arabella helped her in her dress. She had a feeling there was a reason why she wanted to talk in the gardens. "Will James and Benjamin be there?"

"Not sure about James. Ben had woken up pretty early to deal with some business deal." Arabella answered as she started fixing Persephone's hair.

"I figured you'd know something about Ben." Persephone winked at her hand maiden through the mirror making Arabella gently push her shoulder.

At the beginning of their arrival, Persephone was oblivious when it came to Arabella and Benjamin. Too focused on her own relationship to see how her hand maiden and her brother-in-law were looking at each other. It wasn't until one night where Persephone had noticed their weird interactions. But it had seemed as though she was late to party as her own husband knew what was going on.