014. A Little Too Late

~A Little Too Late~

⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

It didn't take long for the doctor to arrive. Persephone wasn't there to witness what the doctor had to say but safe to say, it wasn't pretty. From the look on Athena's face she knew something was wrong with Francis. It was the same face she had when she found out her mother wasn't getting any better. So, she left them alone.

Night turned into day and it seemed as though everyone was aware of Francis' condition except for Persephone. Nobody really knew how to react or inform the youngest Thornhart what was wrong with her father. As toxic as their relationship was, Persephone had the right to know.

Persephone entered the kitchen, seeing her sister's state. "What's wrong?"

Athena turned around, wiping her tears away. "It's not like you'll care."

"I mean I wouldn't know unless you tell me. It seems like everyone knows what's going on except for me." Persephone furrowed her brows.

"That's because you went back to your room." Athena turned towards her sister, dark under eyes prominent. "While you slept soundly with zero care in the world, I had to deal with the news that our father is dying."

Persephone was shocked. She didn't expect to hear that Francis was dying. "What?"

"You heard right, Persephone. The wound our father has was not cleaned correctly. Because of that, he has an infection and it's spreading rapidly." Athena explained, sipping on her tea. "It's only a matter of time before he dies."

Persephone didn't know what to say. She never wished death on the man but hearing his death was near was something she couldn't comprehend. Persephone didn't think Francis would die this soon, especially after her mother passed away just three years ago.

"I don't know what to say." Persephone looked down at her hands, not being able to look at her sister. To see the look of hurt, of hopelessness. Because Persephone didn't feel anything. As much as she wanted to, she couldn't.

"I know you don't like him. I get it. But at least talk to him. I don't want you to live with regret."

"I don't think he'll want me to."

"He will." Athena spoke. "He told me himself. Persephone, he knows his death is approaching. For once, just consider speaking to him."

The last thing Athena needed was for Persephone to regret making amends with her father. Francis could be a lot of things, but at the end of the day that was her father. Whether she liked it or not.

"You think it's so easy?" Persephone questioned, looking up at her. "You think it's easy to deal with years of resentment. To have your own father toss you to the side the minute you were born? You never had that. You will never understand the things that I have been through because of that man. I will always be the black sheep. I will always be what could have been and I will always be looked at like a mistake."